Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

My Zilla Dont Like Me

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 02:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gidday People.

Well you may have read my earlier message where I explained about my Zilla and its irratic idle. You all said it sounded like an air leak. well i checked for an air leak but i could find one. I did however find that the induction reeds had a small burn mark on them. One even had a small hole that wouldnt seal at all. Well I hoped that this was the source of the engine idle problems. I replaced the reeds and went for a ride last weekend. Well the irratic idle started again as soon as I got it fired. I still went for a short ride to see if it still idled like that once it was hot. After riding for about 10 minutes, i stopped to wait for everyone to catch up(nothing stays with a Zilla hehe). Then i noticed a huge amount of steam comin up around the plastics! the engine was very hot and the raditor had spat the coolant into the overflow bottle, filled that and then sprayed the exhaust with the coolant! I rode back to base rather slowly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].

I have a feeling that the raditor fluid wasnt all that hot but it was pressurised. I think that the compression stroke pressure is escaping into the cooling system and that one of the gaskets are stuffed. Now my question is this - which gasket (base or head) is likely to have blown? Considering is an '87 (head gasket problems) would the cool head with its 'o' rings fix this problem? Or should I look at the 12mm head stud change? All replies would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2001, 11:51 AM
Range Rover

Are you SURE you don't have an air leak? It sounds a lot like one, did you have a leak down test performed like the other guy suggested? If you have some feeler guages, use them and see if you can get any to go through either at the base or the head. The pulsating idle is becaues it is sucking in SO much air. Oxygen burns better than gas so when it is lean like that it will rev up like you are talking. I'm sure you didn't do that piston much good riding it like that. I know what you mean though about not having good mechanics and I understand how you don't want to take it to them. Check the needle also like the other fellow said and keep us posted. I know a little about these things but I'm in no way an expert, but I'll help you with what I can. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2001, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

IT IS YOUR HEAD GASKET. MINE DID THE SAME THING. MAKE SURE YOU GET SOME 220 SAND PAPER ND FLAT SURFACE AND LAP THE HEAD AFTER YOU GET IT APART. IF YOU WANT TO FIX IT FOR GOOD BUY A COOL HEAD WITH THE O RING GASKET. 230.00 BUT WELL WORTH IT.

Old 07-02-2001, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for your replies guys. I decided to take it to a bike shop. Ive asked for the mechanic to do a leak down test and find the problem. When he does he's to call me without doing any other work. These numbskulls need this said to them otherwise i could ring him up to check how its going, and find he's rebuilt the fricken engine and wants me to take a second mortgage on the house to pay for it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Believe me, Ive had this happen before! He said it could be two areas. either the head gasket or the cranks seals. I heard that the crank seals could be replaced without too much hassle (ie splitting the cases or anything like that). Im also looking to bite the bullet and order one of the cool heads. Do they decrease temp. much? Now does this cool head really fix the '87 head gasket problems for good?

On another note, what brand of repair manual do u use Zillaman? Clymer? Haynes? or do u use the Suzuki one? Thanks again guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2001, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

I just have the origional Suzuki manual.

Old 07-05-2001, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys. Thanks for all your replies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I got a call from the shop yesterday. they said they found that one of the cylinder studs was stripped and when they went to torque it down it just kept turning. they recon that cause it has such high compression that it was lifting up the cylinder and sucking in air. Hopefull today there gona fix it then do a leak down test. But hopefully this was the problem! So i should have my zilla back before the weekend! yah! hehe
oh and im also picking up a Suzuki Manual as well. Thanks again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2001, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

This is way off topic but how much faster is your Quadzilla than the Quadracer? I have ridden a Piped 92 and thought it was fast but not fast enough, I also liked how it handled so does the Quadzilla handle like that also? Any help will be appreciated. Oh yeah just make sure to torque down your head-studs every couple hours of ridinf time to ensure there are no-leaks and no blown gaskets

Old 07-06-2001, 02:11 AM
Range Rover

The punch out of the corners is the obvious difference. the 500 wants to leave you behind. if your not paying attention you could easily go over. The 250 still as a decent punch but you notice the difference after riding the 500. another thing is the weight. The 500 FEELS heaps heavy. but in actual fact it doesnt feel that much heavier to lift. it seems to slowly bounce over the ruts where the 250 would buck and bounce. I think this is from the different front suspension geometry. the 500 front tyres are heaps further forward compared with the 250. Im still getting used to the throttle on the 500 so my dad is still able to stay with me, but if i find a decent straightaway, im gone! A little more practice and i think I should be almost competitive. Just trying to learn how to ride it without crashing! hehe

Old 07-06-2001, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you. How old are you? By the way I meant RIDING, NOT RIDINF!!

Old 07-06-2001, 02:25 AM
Range Rover

Im 23. Ive been racing Sprint Karts since i was 9yo. Club Champion in Clubman class in '99 racing the KT100s class. Started riding off road the following year. Started out with a YZ125 '90 and then traded for a '97 CR250. Then sold that and got my '98 Banshee. Dont like that so i now ride an '87 LT500, and lovin it. Hope to start quad racing next year so Ive got till january next year to get the parts I need and to get the confidence I need on the bike.

Quick Reply: My Zilla Dont Like Me