Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking for an aftermarket exhaust for both my 2000 KQ and 2000 250 Quadrunner 4x4. SuperTrapp makes an exhaust for both atvs. When I checked the part numbers at their site, the part number is the same for both atvs. I was initially surprised, but then remembered that the difference between the two machines is minimal. I'm thinking that the 286cc KQ engine is just a bored out 246cc 250 Quadrunner engine. The 2000 KQ and 250 Quadrunner even share the same carburetor.

I can't help but wonder that since the KQ combustion chamber is larger, the flow of exhaust gas should be larger. I guess using the same SuperTrapp exhaust on the 250 Quadrunner is a little overkill? Or maybe SuperTrapp designed it to be a compromise type of unit that works equally well on both machines?

Any opinions?

Mark

Old 07-21-2001, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

Mark, I think that the reason that it works for both is that it is an adjustable flow type muffler system. You control the back pressure by how many disks are installed.

Old 07-21-2001, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Mike,
That makes sense. I read that on the SuperTrapp site, but it just didn't register.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Mark

Old 07-21-2001, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

You're right Mike...
The more disk you add, the leaner the carb.
Minumum reconmended disk is four. That's your rich running setup. You can start there and add as needed. You know when it's right when you do your spark plug inspection and the color is brown coffee.
Another thing to remember!
As you add disk, the muffler gets louder.
In Michigan, the DNR checks for noise. The rule is: you're allowed 92dB @ 3ft. from end of pipe.
I'm approaching that with eight disk...
I still run with the stock air filter. When I get more time, I'm going to try a few things with the carb to lean it out a little more. I'll let you know, fellas...
WARNING: It's better to be a little too rich than to be too lean...
Hey! Didn't I just see you two in another thread here? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Chuck

Old 07-24-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Chuck,
I just got my SuperTrapp in the mail. It's an IDS2. Is yours?
The reason I ask will be obvious...read on.

After reading the installation instructions twice, I noticed that the mounting bracket attaches to the top two bolts of the hitch. And to attach the muffler to the bracket, I'll need to rotate the muffler so the SuperTrapp Logo plate riveted on the outside of the muffler is upside down. I went to the SuperTrapp site and the picture of the muffler for the KQ is exactly like the one I received, so I don't think the SuperTrapp Logo plate was riveted on upside down. Is yours mounted that way?

Also, I looked inside the muffler and it looks like it's been used!!! There's carbon on the inside and it's discolored. It makes me wonder if SuperTrapp tests these before shipping, or did Rocky Mountain ATV send me a returned exhaust?

I ordered it from Rocky Mountain ATV and everytime (not an exaggeration!) my order seems to be screwed up.

Mark

Old 07-24-2001, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Mark! Send the thing back... I never heard of such. My SuperTrapp, is bolted to the same brackets the old (original) one bolted to. I had no debris inside the unit when it was delivered. I think you have an idea of what happened and that's not good...
I would call Rocky Mountain, and tell them what you found when you opened the box. Take some pics of the unit before you send it back. Hopefully, they will give you restitution or I'm never going to buy from them again. Your SuperTrapp, label should be right side up, the way SuperTrapp would want it...
Chuck

Old 08-05-2001, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Mark, what happened, did you get the new Trapp yet? Let us know what you decided to do and how the company handled your complaint. So we don't get caught up in the same way and maybe with numbers we can help each other.
Chuck

Old 08-05-2001, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ecorman,
im also from Michigan and my friend is a ASI and MATVA certified licensed ATV safety instructor and he told me to inform you that in Michigan,the db noise level is not the 92db that you say it is.Instead,he told me to tell you that the correct noise levels should not exceed 94db on any ATV manufactured after 1-1-1986.He said to tell you thanks though for trying to make sound levels even quieter in Michigan by telling these guys 92db.

Your bud,
Bill

Old 08-06-2001, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

Tell your friend, I said he's welcome... I like the sound of "no sound at all". But if we get to 90dbA, or less, I'm gonna have to get rid of the S/Trapp Exhaust Pipe, on the King Quad. Bill, tell your friend, he may have to get rid of his very nice sounding pipe too! Thanks for the correction.
Chuck

Old 08-06-2001, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Your right on there bro.Hey,was riding with Joe G. yesterday at the Mounds,you guys sound EXACTLY alike now that he has the Super Trap to.He was racing Nephew Ronnie around the track and said the quad was missing a little,guess he's going to look into that today.

Bill

Quick Reply: King Quad Aftermarket Exhaust