Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt 125 only runs on full choke...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 03:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently acquired an 83 LT 125 with 1100 miles on it that had been sitting for a number of years... After cleaning out the tank and carb, I found that it needed a new spark plug cap. Lots of big blue spark, but it will only run when the choke is deployed on full ... Is this the result of bad settings on the air screw or just a carb that has a plugged passageway? What are the proper settings for the air screw?

Old 07-24-2001, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

I think you have a plugged passageway. Take off the carb and make sure all the jets are clean and clean it with an air compressor then it let it soak in kerosene or cleaner for a night.

Old 07-25-2001, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

Most air screws get turned out 1 1/2 turns initially and then adjustments are made from there. You should stop into the nearest Zuke shop (or better yet get a manual) and obtain the specified setting. Soak the disassembled parts in carb cleaner to loosen grime. Your best bet on an older carburetor is to buy and install new jets. Then you can be assured of clean jet orifices. Use compressed air to finish up the job. Make sure you don't bend up the float supports during this whole process. Otherwise, you will next be on here complaining about a leaky carb or a motor that wants to die at full throttle.

Old 08-07-2001, 08:25 PM
Range Rover

just bumping this up for Newzboy

Old 08-21-2001, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem a few weeks ago with a zuki Lt 125. I ordered a new carb kit from Dennis Kirk and it fixed it. Mine had set for several months out in the weather and between that and dirty fuel the main jet was clogged. The new kit fixed it right up. The kit cost less than $20 and I had it in two days after I ordered it. I think this will solve your problem.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2001, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Chrisl,
Tell me in your opinion if this will work. I have a 1984 LT125 frame and I have a 1985 LT 185 motor. I have checked the motor mounts and it will bolt in with no problem. I also have a Clymer manual that essentially says the only difference in the 125 and 185 is the bore. My question, do you think it will work? Just give me your opinion. If anyone else reads this I would appreciate your thoughts also. Sometimes people can see things that I haven't thought of yet. This quad is being set up for hunting with a rear rack and I am going to put camo tape on the plastic.

Old 08-30-2001, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

dillas23
Yes it will work I am doing the same thing this weekend. My little 125 decided to spit reverse and 1st gear out, so I picked up a 185cc this last week from a guy in florida for $100.00. Which is a lot cheaper than going through the tranny. Essentially the 125cc and 185cc are the same engine just different bore sizes. The 125 and 185 did have different carbs, the 185 has a larger main jet, but I think with a small amount of tinkering with the fuel/air mixture screw it can be compensated for. The only thing that I would suggest is purcashing a new rear sprocket. The 125 uses 428 chain which is rated to 125cc. The 185 uses 520 chain which is rated up to 500cc. You can purchase a new rear sprocket from Dennis Kirks or any other atv supply house or you can go to suzuki. The 185 has a decompresssion lever built into the head which makes starting easyier if you can you might try to get the cable that goes to the handle bar it will make a little cleaner. Other wise you can use it with out you may want to make a little lever and attached it to the mechinism to make it easier to use. Hope this helps.

Chris LaMaster

Old 08-31-2001, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Chrisl,
I may have another carb from a 185 if it doesn't work. Let me know also if you run into any other problems. My e-mail address is txpedsrt@aol.com. When i got my 125 it had an aftermarket electric starter which will bolt right up. I hope to start working on mine next week but it has just been too hot here in tx to do anything so far. Keep me posted.

Old 09-20-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Chrisl,
Have you gotten done with that motor switch? I was wondering if you had ran into any problems. let me know.

Old 09-20-2001, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I did the same thing to my LT 125. It is a 1986 LT 125 frame, and it has a 1984 motor. The major difference in the motors, is that the LT 125 has 5 speeds and a reverse. The Lt 185 has 4 gears, a low and reverse. Also, on the countershaft, the splines are a different size. Rather than switching to a different chain and rear sproket, I had the sproket machined to fit the 185 shaft. It is still holding up, but I am having one problem, the chain adjuster is frozen in place, it will not move, any one know how to help?!?!? Please, it is my brothers quad and I can not tighten the chain because of this. It was fine 3 months ago! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: lt 125 only runs on full choke...