Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Help with jet kit for 2001 King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Y'all, long time reader, first time poster here.

I recently went to my local Suzuki shop and ordered a K&N Jet Ket for my 2001 King Quad. I gave the salesman $25 down and I went to pick it up on Tuesday. Went I got there the salesman had told me that he made a mistake. They had sent him a FULL K&N Power Kit. Filter, precharger, dynojet kit, and cleaner. Well since he made the mistake he said he would let me have the kit for 40 more dollars. I was all over that. 65 dollars for a K&N kit sounded like a hell of a deal to me.

Got the kit home and jumped right into the jet kit. I removed the top black cap of the carburator and found what looked to be a needle valve. My question is, have any of you installed these on the King Quads? I cant seem to find the main jet and the cant figure out how the needle valve comes out. I am mechanically inclined, but most of my dealings are with John Deere tractors and Chevy Trucks. This is my first four wheeler. The kit they gave me was a 88-98 kit, Dynojet told me that the jit kit that I got would work for my 2001. There havent been many changes right?

Any help you guys have time to give would be greatly appreciated. If Y'all need and tech help on Deere tractors just let me know!

P.S. Has anyone removed the diferential lock stop bar from their KC's allowing the diferential to be locked in in any range? If so, how do you like it?????

Old 10-17-2001, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]HAD TO REJET MY FRIEND'S. IT WAS WAY LEAN WITH A 117 MAIN. THE TOP YOU TOOK OFF IS THE FUEL NEEDLE. JUST PULL IT OUT WITH NNEDLE NOSE PLIERS THEN MAKE SURE IT'S IN THE 3 RD CLIP. YOU HAVE TO GO UNDER TO THE BOTTON OF THE CARB TO GET TO THE MAIN JET. UNSCREW IT WITH A FLAT DRIVER. IT'S THE BIGGEST JET IN THE MIDDLE. REPLACE IT WITH A 130 AND SEE HOW IT RUNS. IF IT'S O.K. TAKE THE POWER KIT BACK, THEY WANT YOU TO USE A NEW NEEDLE, ADJUST THE AIR/FUEL SCREW, USE THEIR JETS ETC.YOU MAY GET THE CARB ALL SCREWED UP. SO TRY WHAT I SAID FIRST THEN GO FROM THERE.

Old 10-17-2001, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

The jet kit for a '88-'98 King Quad may not work in yours. '88-'99 King Quads (initially called Quadrunners) use a Mikuni BST31SS carb which I believe is a 31mm round slide carb. The '00 and newer King Quads use a Mikuni BSR29SS carb which is a 29mm semi-oval slide carb. They went to the new carb to improve throttle response. Whether or not the jets are the same I am not sure.

Old 10-18-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Rocky Mountain ATV did the same thing to me; sent me a kit for an older KQ. Listen to Duncan and get the right one. I just figured it was the right one and installed it. The bike wouldn't idle worth a damn. The carbs and the needles are different.

K&N gets their jet kits from Dynojet. The correct Dynojet kit number for your quad is Q307. Go out to their site and verify it.

This is the third person this has happened to including me. Do I see a trend here?
If you send me your email, I'll send you a scanned page from the 2000 shop manual showing the main jet, and idle mixture screw, etc.. The 2000 and 2001 carbs are the same I think, both Mikuni BSR29SS.

When I finally go the right kit, it was like night and day. Follow the instructions on the main jet size, then you can tweak you main up or down a size or two only if you need to.

On the differential lock, there's a guy whose login is robhouston I think. He has a web site with pics on how to do the exact thing you're asking about. Maybe someone else can help me with his name or site.

Mark

Old 10-19-2001, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

That site is

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/kingquad

The diff lock works great in any gear, just don't drive very fast. As you would expect it doesn't steer well at high speeds. Mine actually seemed to shift easier once the stop was removed.

Good Luck,
Rob

Old 10-21-2001, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Mark. Send the kit back to K&N if in deed it's not the right one. If you're not mechanically incline, it may be a good idea to have a knowledgable mechanic do the installation for you. I think, doing the work of installing the kit, may not be the hard part of up grading your quad. Diagnostic testing must be done and if you have no idea how to accomplish testing, it could be very frustrating for the layman, to decide how or what is wrong after the installation and how to correct problems. However, it sounds as though you have some mechanical background, 423. You should be fine.
The diff. lock works fine... What I hate most is water in the brake drums... You guys with all disc, wouldn't understand...
Chuck

Old 10-22-2001, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree, the power kit is about $120, but what kind of a deal is it if its the wrong kit.
I have had years of experience with dynojet and I find it very hard to believe thier needles for a 31mm carb are the same as a 29mm carb.

Try to send it straight to dyno jet, in many instensise they will send you the correct one.
You should be able to do this task on your own, but with the wrong kit, well lets not go thier.
Get the correct kit use the 800# and they are very helpful.