Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT 250 4wd no neutral/clutch slippage

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the ATV thing been around plenty of dirt bikes, snowmobiles and jeeps. This is a 94 and I plow snow with it. Worked fine one day and now I cannot get the neutral light to come on although it acts like it is in neutral. The reverse light will come on. Also, when you pull start it and try to ride it feels like the clutch is slipping, the higher the gear the more it slips. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-01-2002, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

No idea. My brother's lt300 does the same thing, partly. It slip more in higher gears than lower ones. We are going to take the cover off and the clutches off and take a good look at the clutches and the shift mechanism.

Old 01-01-2002, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I seem to have improved the clutch sliping problem but I can only get the neutral light to come on once in a great while. It seems to shift through all forward gears and will go into reverse but no neutral light. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 01-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Looks like your problem and my problem have sorta parted ways. I wish I ad found out how you fixed the slipping problem before I took the side cover off. I found goofage inside, someone had used the wrong bolts on the lifting mechanism, and they were not tight. I could not find anything wrong with the clutches otherwise. I think the adjustment is off, and I did not know about it due to no repair manual. My brother owns this LT300 thing and won't buy a manual for it, so I am fixing it blind. Oh, well, it looks like only gaskets and bolts to fix this.

If I had your problem, I would check the bulb, power for this circuit, and the neutral switch. I have no idea where it is on yours, but it is on the left side above the chain drive on mine.