Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP: Kodiak vs Xplorer vs Xpedition

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2000, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to buy my first ATV and am looking for a little advice/input into my decision. I've sat down and did a little pro/con for each of the three bikes above, but I still can't decide which one would be best for me.

The quad will be used primarily for recreational riding on trails & playing in the mud. Aside from getting ready for hunting season, I don't forsee much work for the machine. 99% play.

I'm looking for a fairly sporty 4x4... probably a step 'down' (as in less sporty) than a Scrambler. I'm also fairly settled on getting a 400cc class machine vs a 500cc, due mainly to the fact that I think the 500s are a little to big (heavy) for ideal trail riding. There also a little more money than I'd like to spend.

Originally, I thought I wanted an Xplorer 400. A couple of my buddies have Xplorer 400s (a 1999 & 2000) which I've had the pleasure of riding. It's a fun, quick 4x4. My only hesitation about buying one is that they both have belt slippage problems when going through water. Don't get me wrong... it doesn't slip everytime; But I've been out three times on one of their 400s, and I had slippage problems each time. It's no fun when they're encircling me, covering me with mud (kicking mud up at me) because they know I can't move.

I'm not sure if it's a problem with just the Xplorer or what, but another buddy has a mid 90's Polaris 400cc 2x4 and never has belt slippage problems. Maybe it's just a bad design for the trans vent on the Xplorer, I don't know. But both the 99 and 2000 do it. The other 'issue' I have with the Xplorer is the inability to idle for more than 3-4 seconds. I realize that this isn't a Polaris or Xplorer problem... it's simply how 2-strokes are.. but I think I would prefer to have the ability to let the quad idle when I need to, and not have to worry about fouling out the plugs. Idling is esp handy when you're out in the middle of nowhere (say camping) and you need to power something. Having to punch the throttle every 5 seconds to keep the quad running, for 20 minutes, isn't ideal.

So, I started looking at the Xpedition 425. It's a 5 speed and a 4 stroke which seems to remedy my 'issues' with the Xplorer. The problem is I have never ridden one (how quick are they compared to say an Xplorer? I don't want a dog.) and I've never ridden a manual trans quad (believe it or not!!! Probably due to Polaris (PVT) being so big around here.) Can someone <briefly> explain how to upshift/downshift and kick it neutral for me? I know it's an auto clutch.. so it can't be that bad.

The other quad I was considering was the 2000 Yamaha Kodiak auto 4x4. All I've read so far have been good things... although my Polaris buddies will probably banish me forever if I buy one.

I'd love to hear any input you might have. Any other Xplorer owners have/had slippage problems and find a fix? Any Xpedition owners going riding w/ an Xplorer before? How do they compare? How does the Kodiak and Xplorer compare?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Old 05-02-2000, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I can tell you the Y2kodiak is an excellent machine and have had good luck with mine. The engine brake is unsurpassed on auto atv's and will creep down steep hills in low range with no brake due to 4 wheel engine brake. I've had NO slippage with water/mud over the tires. I don't know much about the explorer but have read about the Xpedition. It seems like a pretty solid quad. However, the weight of the kodiak is 511 lbs dry and the expedition is 650lbs plus dry. That would mean it would be about 700 lbs fueled up. I'm not slamming the Xpidition but I wouldn't want anything heavier than what I have now. Does all that weight help or hurt the performance?? I read a post on the Polaris board that the Expidition went through holes that a Grizzley got stuck in....seems questionable. Any opinions??

Old 05-02-2000, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

511 lbs is sure a light weight for a 4x4 400cc utility class bike thats as light or lighter than a 329cc Rancher and it does not carry a water cooled motor.As for the grizzly getting stuck before the Polaris I can see it as all there bike have the true 4wd system.

Old 05-02-2000, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have heard that the trany vent is the same hight as the air intake so you wont have hardly any trouble with belt slipage. Polars might have a locking diffrentral but you can pick a locker kit up for$169.00 and not have stering problems beacuse of the on demand 4x4 switch. lighter on your feet means you will have better mud preformance.

Old 05-02-2000, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

I had a 99 Explorer and it was a good machine, and yes I did get belt slippage. This was my fault because I hit a water hole and sent a wave of water over me about 10 feet. I traded it in on a 2000 Expedition which I feel is a far superior machine than the Explorer. And as for 4 wheeling my Yamaha and Honda buddies can't even come close to the 4 wheeling the Expedition does. I am Vamped on all fours. I also was tired of tightening my chain on the Explorer. The explorer is faster but the torque on the 425 is super.