Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

need info on lt 500

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input Zoo , Just wondering how to determine the correct jet to run ? Is it the pipe , The reeds , or a combination of both ?

Old 05-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Range Rover

From the Pipe/carb/Port work set up that you have you can get an idea where to start your jetting, but you cant tell exactly what jet buy simply looking at the parts combination. To do correct jetting the easiest is usually to take it to a dyno machine. they guy can tell exactly whats going on by reading exhaust emitions, also power output etc. He can set up the jetting to deal with your riding conditions also.

Jetting is a very fine line. just make sure that you follow the golden rule. start a little rich and work your way leaner, until u reach the optimum jetting for your ride. This optimum is usually when you hit a jet that is just lean enough to make you 500 leap out of its skin. when you hit that jet, then go one size richer. I suggest if you have never dealt with jetting b4, maybe find a friend that has or even just take it to a shop. they charge next to nothing (well mine did!) and they usually get it spot on. if you find a friendly shop, the mech may explain the whole principle behind it and explain how to get a 'feel' for jetting while riding.

couple of info rules. Jetting too rich, the engine will double fire (or what we call it in au, four stroke), and wont rev out, and you will foul plugs regularly. go too lean and thats when you start heating it all up. unfortunately the bike goes like sting when its lean but as most of us know, it dont last too long, thus the reason for the richer setting. and besides, i think most will agree, the 500 has enuf ***** even with rich jet settings lol. Hope that helps. If you wanna know more info on jetting then email me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2002, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Just for a recap-87 had squared upper A-arms, 6-stud head, and a bigger reed cage, which would be a plus for top-end hill shooting or draggin'. The Zilla has pretty much the same dimensions as a DS, but with less weight and more power, plus cheaper and easier power to be found.

Ok, here's an edited story of my Zilla.......I paid $1500 bucks, and with a missing grab bar (fell off), 2 flat rear tires (dry rotted SEVERLY), leaking carb, dangling exhaust (thanks to missing grab bar), shot suspension, no brakes, and me holding the seat and rear fenders down, I smoked, and I mean SMOKED a Raptor up the local bowl, not to mention the head gasket blew about half way up. My friend wouldn't talk to me for a week (musta crushed his ego[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) Anyway, I stripped it down naked, and replaced, repaired, cleaned, and painted everything. I figured I got a few grand in it easily, still less than, say 4K altogether, and I remain undefeated on the 1/4 mile bridge, fire roads, bowl, and the occasional tear up the hot top. I've raced modded Shee's, DS's, Raptors, and a Warrior, plus the occasional RM and KX 250.

When I first bought it, the LT was bored .060 over, had a Graydon Proline pipe, and an FMF reed cage, and I thought it was pretty darn fast then. I since added a Paul Turner pipe, cool head, Kiehin 39mm PWK, bored it .080, replaced all suspension and wheel bearings, new rims, tires, Works triple rates, fenders, bars, Hinson/Barnett clutch, and PRM Baja bumper and grab bar, etc, etc etcetera. I always manage to scare myself, and I almost don't like showing it off at the local riding places because everyone always wants to try it "real quick" ("Oh, HELL NO!!!).

Anyways, if you can get one, do it. I missed all but 2 days of ridin last summer when I first got it, but I didn't mind. Just gave me something to tinker on last winter. It was definately worth it.

Old 05-03-2002, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Ok Fasternu according to your post you own a Zilla with a PT pipe, coolhead,Keihin 39mm carb and FMF reed cage correct me if i am wrong here...

All of this would put your Zilla in the low mid 60s rwhp range and you never lost a drag race to any other quads?...Not even modded Shees?

Where do you live?... Zimbabwe!!! Or you really carefully choose your opponents.

Although your Zilla is probably decently fast,yeah sure you can beat mildly modded Raptors,DSs and Banshees with it but let me tell you this someday you will get crushed (and i really mean crushed) by one of those up above mentionned quads because 60-65 rwhp is indeed fast but not really "FAST".

Now if you were talking about a bored out, ported, running on alky Zilla putting out 90 rwhp i would say yeah you got a real "FAST" ride there buddy but till then you are misleading the readers here.They may get out and buy a Zilla thinking "hey they told me it was the fastest quad outhere i wont ever lose a damn race" and get their butt kicked the first time out at the dunes...

I have seen some real fast Zillas and have seen some slow ones (stock or bad shaped ones) speed is a $$$ business and does owning a Zilla makes you king of speed NO!!! but money will.

Old 05-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

<< Ok Fasternu according to your post you own a Zilla with a PT pipe, coolhead,Keihin 39mm carb and FMF reed cage correct me if i am wrong here...

All of this would put your Zilla in the low mid 60s rwhp range and you never lost a drag race to any other quads?...Not even modded Shees?
>>

You have dyno in your pocket? Zillarider02 has almost this same setup with some minor portwork and I watched him beat the crap out of everything running @ Little Sahara last Saturday! Heavily modded Shees, Raptors, and couple DS's were the menu of the Day.
I watched a 250r three wheeler just kill a pair of modded DS's!

<< Although your Zilla is probably decently fast,yeah sure you can beat mildly modded Raptors,DSs and Banshees with it but let me tell you this someday you will get crushed (and i really mean crushed) by one of those up above mentionned quads because 60-65 rwhp is indeed fast but not really &quot;FAST&quot;. >>

BULLSHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My own Zilla was the only real competitor for Zillarider02. And no Raptor was within 10 bike lengths of me, couldn't really tell, kinda dangerous looking behind you when the Zilla throttle is pinned to the max! Again, RWHP is just a number, if you knew anything about drag racing you would know that torque moves the mass (quickness) and horsepower equals speed (topend). Don't quote what you don't understand.

[

Old 05-03-2002, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Truckracer when was the last real meaningfull drag race event that a Zilla won?

I am not talking about a drag race between a bunch of guys thinking that they are fast but a real event like KOTH in Utah or Labor day week end at Glamis?

Would you please answer me because i dont give a damn about your friend beating the other guy that day when it was raining and the other guy didnt have his rain coat on!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not dissing the Zilla here but you guys are kidding yourselves, i myself am a Zuk fan but a Heavily modded Shee will beat a piped, mildly ported Zilla and i dont care weither you like it or not Truckracer it is the painfull truth...

Old 05-03-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

And by the way Truckdriver what is a &quot;heavily modded Shee to you?

This is becoming very interesting!!!

Old 05-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Just so you know Truckracer Dan Hull of A&amp;S Racing (i hope you heard about him) built this year a 483cc Banshee alky stroker that dynoed at 123hp...His 350cc stocker on alky dynoes at 87 hp and runs 4.16 in 300ft sand drags.Now lets not talk about his turbo Shee (running on a stock Banshee frame by the way) because since you are an avid drag racing fan you already know all about it dont you...

He is currently working on his next Glamis beast, a 520cc turbo stroker wich should put out (if everything goes according to plan) 200 rwhp.Now this should be fast dont you think?...Like i told you 60-65 rwhp is fast but it isnt really &quot;FAST&quot; it is just average in the drag racing world...

Old 05-03-2002, 09:02 PM
zoo
Pro Rider

One thing I learned a long time ago, there is always someone faster. Speed is a matter of money, or &quot;how fast can you afford to go&quot;. My Zilla is mildly modified and kicks it pretty damn good, very few rigs can keep up with it, but I have had my day in the shade as a highly modified shee or raptor blew past me. And yes I do try to pick my races, I mean it would be ridiculous of me to think I am going to compete with turbo charged alky burning banshees, but then again most of those types of rigs are good for one thing only, racing in a straight line, mine is just a bit more versatile.

I say run what you brung and do the best you can...

Old 05-03-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well Zoo if you read my first post you know that i totally agree with you.

Quick Reply: need info on lt 500