Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt80 low cost mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A aftermarket pipe for the lt80 is it worth it! I'm looking at a low cost way to give it more performance without porting and boring. Because he would like to race a bike next yr. What i would like to do is open the airbox opening,aftermarket air filter, boyeson reeds,and a pipe if they are worth it, and clutch. How are the DG pipes? I hope someone can put me in the right path.

Old 01-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

The DG pipe is pure crap,the rivets shake loose after a couple of rides,the one I put on my son's lasted one ride,then the silencer is loose.I ended up tapping the holes to 1/4-20 bolts with lock washers just to hold it on. Some free mods(just your time),take off the front clutch pulley,inside you will find 6 roller weights,take out every other one,leaving 3 in a triangle,this raises the stall speed,really keeps it in the power,this mod alone will make it launch and climb a lot better,my son ran his for years like that,and loved it. The next biggest mod is taking a dremel to the reed cage,it tapers down, and opening it up makes it flow a lot better, replace the steel reed with aftermarket,like a fiber or composite,Tony Dukas Racing makes some nice ones. The only real cost is jetting, reaming out the reed cage,a pipe, and a better air filter will mean more fuel, when I was done with my mods, I went up 5 sizes,ran great,but flowed so much it would actually run the carb low on a long full throttle run. Ended up drilling out the inlet on the carb float seat to get fuel in faster. I'm sure there are a lot more mods out there, a lot of the forum guys race these little quads,so I'm sure you'll get a lot more good tips. Make sure the safety equipment is the first mod !!! (helmets first!!!)

Old 01-24-2002, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks 95 wolv
Question on the clutch pulleys. My son races sr. mini class not much hill climbing, if i take out the clutch weights will i suffer speed on a long straight away? I was looking into a CTracing pipe know anything about them.
Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Top speed remains unchanged,the clutch mod just raises the engagement point,better holeshot,and quicker out of the corners.My son raced a little with his before he outgrew it,spanked Honda 90 and almost lapped a kid on a Polaris 90 Scrambler,but that kid was pretty green,not as aggressive as the other racers. You can also get springs for the rear pulley,you can get the little quad to darn near wheelie off a dead stop with the proper mods. Hope I was some help.

Old 01-24-2002, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info
Yes they are a big help do you run a stock pipe or aftermarket? I'm going to try the clutch mods (weights) that would be cool jumping out of the gates like greyhound. Did you replace the back tires with wider ones?

Thanks

Old 01-24-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

I ran the DG,couldn't return it after running it awhile,stayed solid after I put the bolts in,just kept putting new packing in a couple times a year. To really get the best jump off the line, you will want to mod the back pulley, this will require a stiffer spring,CT racing,to mention one,does a good job modding motor and clutch on the LT80,you may want to give them a call. For tires, I ran Kenda Scorpions,20x7x8,wanted as close to stock for trail rides. for racing,you can go to an 18,will make it quicker but drop the top end a little,shouldn't matter on a track. Don't go too wide,or it will take too much power to turn them. James Lucky racing also makes a 6" widening kit, that would help with turns and stability,but then you are looking at some money there. Good luck racing !