Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 08:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read some good things about the Vinson, and I looked at one at a local dealership recently. I wasn't thrilled by the plastic front, or the foot peg area. I am trying to decide between an ATV to use for hunting and occasional riding. I almost always ride with me wife or my dad on, so I need one capable of hauling two with no problems. I weigh 210lbs and am narrowing it down to the Vinson, The Prairie 650, and have even looked at the Eiger and the Prairie360. I need some advice.

Old 02-26-2002, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

My parents just bought a Vinson about 2 months ago now. I've had a chance to give it a try a few times. I really like the 4wheeler alot. It has good power and drive nice as well. Right now there is about 1 1/2 ft of snow every where yet they still ride double on the groomed trails with no problems at all. The 4wheel drive system works very nice and is easy to use. The head lights on the atv are amazing (extremely brite). The atv will give them 95 km/h on the snowy roads and should get a bit better on dry dirt.

In general I have no complaints about the atv except for the plastic front. The dealer they bought the atv from said that the bumper would be out in a month or so.

If I was to by an atv tommorrow I would not rule this ATV out.

Old 02-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input Kodiac400. I know there are price differences in your area, but do you have any idea on the costs of new bumpers? I can get a Vinson here complete with winch for 6400 out the door, but can get a Prairie650 for about the same, maybe even less.

Old 02-26-2002, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

The Vinson here in New Brunswick Canada is 9400 out the door, winch included. The bumpers are 250 bucks around here for the front and just over 200 for the rear. These are the bumper they have on the Suzuki web site.

Old 02-26-2002, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

That's not a bad price. Here in Sudbury they are 9800 with winch and taxes. Going to North Bay or Espanola would probably save a couple of hundred dollars.

The Kawi is at least 500 more. Not that much when you consider the motor difference.

I think it's a nice quad too, but like someone said, I'm a little worried about the plastic. I think i would wear the new off pretty quick.

Old 02-26-2002, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I appreciate the input, and I am still considering a Vinson. I am wondering about the gas mileage in comparison to the Prairie? I believe that the Prairie has two of the carbs that the Vinson has? Does anyone know about how these two are in comparison on fuel?

Old 02-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

ScottOne,
If you haven't yet, pick up a copy of the March ATV Magazine. They have a shootout of the top of the line quads from Arctic Cat, Yamaha, Bombardier, Honda, Polaris, and Suzuki. I think it costs $4.50 off the rack but it will be worth it if you're looking to buy and haven't made up your mind.

One thing that surprised me is the Vinson generally kicked the Rubicon's butt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And the Rubicon was last year's ATV of the Year.

Mark

Old 02-27-2002, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

About 3 Sundays ago now, my parents and I went out on a 5 hr run. We both filled the tank right to the cover and took off. Remember both my parents were on the bike and I was alone. We did a total of 72km's and both were at 1/2 a tank. My bike is a 400 and there's is 500. We will get better mileage in the summer because there will be less resistance on dry ground. I was driving my bike a bit harder which wasted fuel.

Old 02-27-2002, 09:17 AM
Trailblazer

Kodiac400,
What 400 were you on and what were they on? That sound pretty good in comparison. I read a post on the Kawasaki forum in which one owner said he doesn't watch his speedo, but keeps his eye on the fuel gauge. That does concern me a bit. I still haven't fully decided, but have narrowed it down quite a bit.

Old 02-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I was on my 02 Kodiak and they (my parents) were on there 02 Vinson. Our speed was 40-50 KM/H all the time.

Quick Reply: Vinson