Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

reviews of Eiger 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have an Eiger 400 4x4?If you or know someone who does could you give me a review of this machine.I really like the looks and price of this quad.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest going back through the Suzuki posts, there are quite a few on the Eiger.

In a nutshell, it's a great bike. Revs fast, handles well. Steering is very light for an almost 600 lb machine. Plenty of power, top speed in the mid-upper 50's. Good jumper and the front dif. puts power to the wheel on the ground. That, combined with good ground clearance and the full skid plate make it a good mud bike too. On top of all that, it gets great gas mileage - 25mpg or more with a 4 gallon tank.

Complaints - Early models had a clutch problem (automatic) that is now been fixed, there was also a recall to install a new type of battery hold down and some feel that it's a little stiff to shift from reverse back to high range.

I think the strength of the Eiger lies in the fact that it is at heart a basic machine. No frills- analog speedo, mechanical 2wd/4wd lever, non-adjustable but well set up shocks, fan/oil cooling. Move up into the 500cc + range and you'll find some better bikes. You'll also pay from one to two thousand dollars more. The Eiger is a great ride. For the money, it's even better.

Jaybee

Old 04-03-2002, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

I have been very pleased with this ATV, my first. The strengths have to be: 1) built like a tank, very smooth ride over rough surfaces; 2) 4wd acts like it should: all four tires spin in the slick stuff; 3) powerful engine with proven durability: the basic engine design has been used by Suzuki with great results for 15 plus years; 4) value: I paid 4500 for my 4x4 auto, plus tax. Weaknesses: not much, but 1) not much storage; 2) seat is a little smaller than some of the bigger machines out there; 3) brakes require a lot of pull to create decent whoa-power.
Overall, it's a standup triple if not a home-run for the money!

Old 04-04-2002, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

It is in my opinion that this machine is one of the best all around machines that Suzuki has put out. Like each of us has said, its a great bike. My wife and I ride it double and it still has all the power that it does when I ride by myself. In fact she says that she wants to trade in her KQ for one. My suggestion was that she can have this one and I will get the new Everest when it hits the market. lol Thats got her thinking now!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

We ride it in the snow, mud and ice. Whatever is on the ground at the time and even with 2 people it will still do 55 and still have power to spare. We climbed snow covered paths and old logging roads today and only put it in low 4X4 twice. It handles very smooth, has a smooth ride and the power is there when you need it. Thats what I like the best. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I have not had one problem with this machine. The only thing that I have found is that it doesn't shift as smoothly from high to reverse all the time, but I think it is because its still in the breaking in stage. All I have to do is press down on the shifter lever and then it shifts with no problem. But it's not anything I cant live with even if it doesn't loosen up later.

MY one complaint so far is where the oil filter is located. It's not in a too convienient place to reach even with the cover off, the fan is kind of in the way but I found the strap wrench works the best and I modified that handle to be about 2 inches shorter to miss the fan and it works really good now.

If you do buy this machine I think you will be very impressed. We are, even to the point that it carries both of us with no strain at all and this makes it easier for both of us when we are out hunting together sometimes. We can haul everything in with just the one machine now and not have to haul so much fuel either. Don't get me wrong we still take her machine so we can scout different areas at the same time, but it sure makes it easier with one machine that does the work of 2. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Hope this helps you out, as well as the facts stated by the others.
__________________________________________________ __________________
2002 Eiger
2001 KQ

"Cocky - it ain't bragging if you can back it up!"

Old 04-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys,your thoughts on the Eiger are very high.It makes me want to go ang get one tomorrow,but I have some other bills to take care before I get a new toy.Hopefully next month i'll be in the local dealer getting my new Eiger.

Old 04-05-2002, 02:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 4x4 manual shift. I too am very pleased with this quad. I went riding with my buddies for the first time last weekend. They ride Honda's, 2 Ranchers (2wd) and a 450 Foreman. They were giving me a hard time about buying a Suzuki, but then they wanted to race. The Eiger was faster than all three Honda's and I had a passenger, they were all riding single. Not to mention I only spent $250 more than the 2wd Rancher guys did and got much more machine. Gotta love it!