Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

How do you think the Z400 will compare with the Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 03:11 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I used to own a Raptor and the reason that I sold it is because I wanted to move over to a sport/utility quad. But I have been thinking about the new Z-400 that is coming out instead. I know it is hard to make opinions when the product hasn't even hit the showroom floors yet, but in your opinion, how would you think the new Z-400 would place with the Raptor? In perfomance, speed, etc...etc..

Your opinions are greatly appreciated,

Thanks!!,

IronBear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2002, 03:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey there Ironbear...how have you been?
From the #'s I think the Z400 is gonna measure up well with the Raptor. It will probably have as least as good of handling and stability as the Raptor. It's gonna be faster than the 400ex, but it's not gonna run with the Raptor in stock form.....maybe I am wrong, but realistically don't see it. I'll bet it has some first year teething problems similar too the 01 Raptor....and maybe worse. Suzuki has been outta the sport quad market for a looooonnnggg time....and it could be a while getting up to speed with a solid foundation for a sport quad. If Suzuki takes care of their Z400 customers by fixing customers quads and not giving a hassle, then Suzuki will not loose repeat customers (unlike 01 Raptor owners have been treated by Yamaha). A new offering of a 400cc engine and relitively light chassis has too have racers / engine builders attention.
One thing it's not gonna have is 660cc of engine to motor you through the woods at a surprising rate with just half throttle. Also, in slightly modified form it's not gonna run with a modified Banshee (less porting)....unlike the Raptor.
Finishing up.....I hope the Z400 raises the bar overall for all sport atv's......Makes my next quad even better.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2002, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Again based on the numbers, I think it will be the only 4 stroke worth buying(with the exception of C-Dale's). It has a lower seat height than a 400EX, and almost all of the dimensions are the same as the EX, but with more motor. I am not that "hip" into the dual-sport type stuff but hear Yoshimura knows this engine like the back of their hand, as a matter of fact, they helped witht he development, didn't they? I doubt it's going to have any real problems, the engines proven already, and chances are Suzuki has been working on this for quite awhile, probably since 99 when the EX came out. So basically you'll be getting a yellow 400EX with Raptor like power and Suzuki decals.

Old 04-29-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

ltracerx, obviously you haven't thrown a leg over a properly tuned Raptor. For the same price of a Cannondale Cannibal, you can have a CT Sonic-piped brand new Raptor that makes about 50hp. If that isn't a four-stroke worth buying, I don't know what is!!!!! Anyways, I just had to say that...

I think that the Quadsport will definitely be better than the sport machines that Suzuki used to make. I had a quadracer (LT250R) once upon a time, as did one of my riding buddies, and more than once we had to have our machines towed home. Weak clutch, crappy chain-adjustment (which really scares me on the Z400), mediocre front-end, and various other little minor annoyances... I hope that these do not find their way onto the much-hyped Z400.

Anyways... the only conjecture that I will offer is that besides Honda's reliability, the Z400 should make the 400EX obsolete.

Old 04-29-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

The Suzuki won't have any real problems. Might not be as powerful as a Raptor, but its not gonna be as junky either. Also costs less.. And yes, I have ridden raptors, and while they are fast, their also pretty poorly made. Yamaha needs to seriously look at the quality concerns with the Raptor..

Old 04-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Suzy will do good. I think once you spend an extra 6 g's to make it Moto 440 specs the Dale has NOTHING on it...Yoshimira already has cams, pipes, sleeves ect out for it. www.inlandatv.com It will take money to get the Suzy up to a higher level, but thats the case w/ any quad. You don't need to spend 6g's, but the Zook will always out handle a Raptor as it has 400ex ergo's.

Old 04-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Performance as for handling, The zuki will probably be alot better. As for speeed, The raptor will chew it up with them both being stock. Don't forget, the raptor has a severely detuned engine. Once you get inside of the engine, it screams!!!

Old 04-29-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I am not buying one.... But its pure conjecture to say that stock for stock the Raptor will be faster or quicker than the Z400. Thats purely based on the fact the Raptor has a displacment advantage. Exactly what Yamaha's marketing department wants you to believe.
So, the dunes and trails will tell the story. Not the manufacturers or magazines, both of them are paid for their facts.

Oh, I didn't see any Raptors keeping up with the modified Banshee's at the dragstrip at LS last Saturday........ Maybe none of them had the magic 50hp pipe & jet kit, but they sure were loud for not going anywhere!

Peace[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

If Suzuki just puts hose clamps on their carb. boots they'll have Yamaha beat.

Old 04-30-2002, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

You won't see any heavily modded shee's keeping up w/ 250r's either on the track. It works both ways...To each his own though....

Quick Reply: How do you think the Z400 will compare with the Raptor?