Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT500 versus new quad? Pros, cons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy my first quad. I'm kind of all over these posts because I'm the kind of person who changes my mind every 2 minutes, so bare with me. I had been thinking about getting a new DS 650, but now after reading about the LT500 I'm considering that. I checked cycletrader.com and found about 9 in my area (So. Cal) for in between $3000 and $3500. I just need some basic info on them. How reliable are they (assuming they're not beat to crap). How do they compare with the DS 650 in acceleration, handling, top speed? I would look into a slightly modified one, nothing too extreme so that hopefully reliability wouldn't be effected. Also, I hear about maintenance issues with 2 strokes. What should I know about 2 stroke maintenance over 4 strokes? I have ridden 2 stroke stand up jetskis for years and have had no problems with them besides some plug fouling. A little gasoline and a toothbrush on the plugs after every time riding and I had nop problems ever. Is it the same with quads, or is the maintenance significant? I'm starting to think it's pointless to buy a new DS 650 if I can get a quad that is close to or better than it in performance for 3 grand less. What do you guys think? Thanks for any and all posts, I appreciate it. I promise I'm not just a post *****, I am getting a quad in the next few months, and your input is greatly appreciated!
Ben

Old 04-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

By the way, although I want to ride in the sand as much as possible, I'll probably spend most of my time riding in mud, dirt, and some trails. Thanks a lot,

Ben

Old 04-30-2002, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

In accelaration and power, the 500R will tromp the DS, the Raptor, and any other production quad to date. (and thats a stock Zilla, by the way)

Zillas (2 strokes in general) are very reliable if maintained.
BUT, ALL Quadzillas produced have a problem with the main bearing area.
The material around the main bearing eventually wears out and becomes egg shaped, and out of round... this causes vibration, and blown main seals, and seizure.
If your in the market for a Zilla, make sure that the main bearing fix has been performed before you buy.
(they machine the main bearing area, and insert brass pieces that cannot wear out, its a permanent fix)

The stock Zilla suspention is good. Good stock shocks, and wide A-arms.
For tight wood riding, the Zilla is a bit wide. It is, however, the perfect dune quad.
Very wide, very stable, and VERY fast.

Im sure someone else on here will have more detailed info on the Zilla engine case problem. (speaking of.. mine is @ tudors performance as we speak getting complete stage II rebuild..cant wait to get her back)

-Matt

Old 05-01-2002, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

The QuadZilla can be made into a very reliable, fun to ride quad. It has all the power you can use, excellent suspension (even stock) and as a side note a large aftermarket of parts available. As for outperforming the newer quads, fear not. Those DS's, Raptor's and certainly 400ex's will see nothing but your roost!

I am with 350X on the case insert topic. My Zilla has already had the case inserts, larger head studs, and reed cage fixed (which only the '87 models need the head studs and cage fix, BTW) It has also been ported, swirl cut and milled head, pipe, and a 39 PWK bored to 41mm. I haven't rode this bike too much (around 8 hours) to say anything about reliability, but I think it will hold up fine. It usually starts on the 1st or 2nd kick and definately hold it's own in the sand, whether at the hill or at the drags. Good luck in finding the right one for you, it's sounds like you California guys have all the luck with ONLY 9 to choose from in your area! I had to drive 3.5 hours to find 1! Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:04 AM
zoo
Pro Rider

I have both a 2-stroke (87 LT500R) and 4-stroke (400EX), and although I like my Honda and it's suspension/handling, I spend most of my time on the Zilla, because of it's sheer power and break-neck speed. I had mine rebuilt about 8 months ago due to the dreaded main bearing problem we speak about. However that was after 3 years of hard riding. The biggest difference between the Zilla and all other newer 4-stokes, i.e. DS650/Yam 660 is the simplicity of the 2-stroke motor, less crap to mess with when it's time to rebuild or modify. And I have yet to be beat by anything other than another LT500 or a highly modified 4-stroke, and I do mean HIGHLY modified, at a considerble cost to that owner. The Showa shocks on LT500s, both FRONT and back are rebuildable.

Not that the Yamaha and DS are bad quads, but I wouldn't trade mine in for any of em.

Old 05-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Guys- what kind of numbers are you seeing at the rear tires, on the Zilla's? My raptor is at 60hp. A few on the forums are in the 70's now. I have only seen 1 Zilla (basketcase). Almost brought that one home. i wish that i had now. Looks like alot of shops are getting into the raptor now.

The stock/piped Ds has a good powerband for the sand, better than a stock/piped raptor. Once you pass that point, the tables are turned. It is real $$$$ to get more power out of the DS. It cost a minimun of 1500.00 to get the raptor up to speed, but you are rewarded with a EASY to ride, powerful beast.

I do not have much knowledge on the Zilla's to provide you with any info, but if interested in the zilla, i would quickly rule out the DS.

When i get the chance, a zilla will be in my garage. How long it stays will be determined later. It is not hard to spend 10,000 building a raptor. If you have the means, you will love the results. That is a lot of cake though. It will take a lot less money to get the zilla to that point, but you will still have a older quad. More crowd appeal though.

Old 05-01-2002, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

I sold my 1989 zilla for a raptor and have been kicking myself in the a$$ ever since. I just built a lt500 powered lt250 chassis. It plain ROCKS. There is no comparison(in my eyes). The Raptor is fast and fun but there is nothing like the zilla. I have sent every 500 motor I built out to have the mains fixed(usually $250) Supposedly Suzuki`s new case halfs are made out of better material. They cost $575 new tho. Its a good idea to make sure the water pump shaft and mechanical seal are in Great shape(I usually just by them new and use the old stuff as backup) Make sure there is no air leaks, and they run forever. If you go to www.Macdizzy.com He shows you how to make a leakdown tester(CHEAP) I have found that if you spend more purchasing a low hour bike you will spend less in the long run fixing everything.

Old 05-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Offroad.com for the restoration and build up article Mr. Dune did on a LT 500. He went into depth about what needed to be done with the engine and mentioned the crank bearings. Definitly a must read if you are looking to buy. The article was done back in the fall of '00.

Old 05-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

I sold my 89 LT 500 to my brother and bought a Raptor. I have not looked back. I liked the Zilla, and yes it was and still is faster, but my Raptor (at considerable expense mind you) does everything else better. I replaced every bushing and bearing on my quadzilla but it still felt and feels like an old quad, without replacing every single part they just don't feel as tight as a brand new ride. I have pics of my old LT in my signature after a complete teardown and restore. I'll tell you one thing nothing I have ridden feels faster than that zilla.

Old 05-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

First of all, thanks to all for your replies. They've all been valuable. I'm pretty sure (like I said though, I change my mind a lot!) that I want a LT500. Actually, I just called about one in my area going for $2300 and planned on going and buying it tonight, but unfortunately the guy said he already sold it. It was only on-line for 2 or 3 days, so it must've been as good as a deal as it seemed like. Damn.

Jason454,
How did the 500 engine conversion into the 250 frame go? Are they the same frame, is it hard/expensive, etc? Does it entail lots of extra work? Same tranny, etc? The reason I ask is that there is also a VERY nice looking lt250 for sale near me. It is all shiny and chromed/polished everywhere. Looks aren't that important to my selection, but it's icing on the cake if the bike I buy is all pretty! If that wasn't too difficult maybe I would just purchase a 250 and do a 500 swap later on. God knows as a new rider I won't need the zilla's power right away. But I know myself and I know I will want it sooner or later! Thanks again all for your replies.

Ben

Quick Reply: LT500 versus new quad? Pros, cons?