Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

My ride report

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never driven a sport quad in my life so I have no idea how the Z compares to other sport quads. When I first jumped on my new Z400 it felt really weird compared to my Arctic Cat 500i. At first I didn't like it because of the way it felt. I pulled the clutch shifted down and released the clutch and gave it some throttle, I stalled it. I tried again and stalled it. I was starting to think I shouldn't of bought a sport quad. Well I did get going and I really didn't like the manual clutch much. The one thing I really found nice about this quad was how light and nimble it is. I hit the gas in 1st gear and the front end came off the ground, I thought that was pretty awesome. I then drove around getting used to the clutch and the quad.

After 30 minutes or so of driving I started to really like this quad, I was getting used to the clutch, how it handled, I even tried really small jumps and catwalks. It was about this time I discouvered the power this beast holds, its wicked. I don't think I gave it 100% throttle but I was a little over half and it felt very powerfull. I knew the urge to use more throttle was there so I went back to the truck and adjusted my throttle limiter so I can only go 50% throttle. I find even with half throttle this quad moves really fast and still catwalks.

After 4 hours of driving around I was really enjoying myself, the only thing that I find hard is the clutch. Sometimes I forget to pull the clutch when I shift and I still stall it sometimes. I also find myself wanting to shift up all the time and sometimes forgeting to shift down once for first. I also find myself wanting to shift with my heel like on my 500i.

Overall I like how the quad handles and I find it very powerfull !! I can't imagine wanting more power. I can only imagine the power it has once I have the quad broke in and I can put the throttle back to 100%. Oh and I went up this hill my 500i could not with my Z. It was so easy, half throttle 2nd gear, I couldn't believe it. I tried some jumping as well and I found it scary, sometimes I wouldn't get enough speed and I would nose plant, other times I would get 2 feet of air or so and it felt cool.

I hope I can finally open her up on Sunday. I'll see if I can get my 10 hours in this weekend, I already have about 4 hour.

Now I have some questions. In reverse does it use a rev limiter to regulate the speed? Thats what I think or am I somehow reving it out in reverse with only 50% throttle usage? Also does anyone have a tachometer on their Z yet? I really want one so I can keep the quad in the power ban. It also seems like I'm reving it out with only 50% throttle in 1st and 2nd gear, is that possible with half throttle? I think I'm not used to such a high reving machine, thats another reason why I want a tach, I have no idea where I'm reving at sometimes and it sounds reved out but I don't think it is so I would naturally back off and I would never know the true potential of my Z. How would a tach install on the Z? How much do they cost? I know this is a huge post. Thanks for reading it and I would greatly appreciate any feedback or comments that you may have. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You will get used to useing the clutch. It will take some time. Do you know anyone who has experience with quads and the use of a clutch? i'd invite them to go ride with you and show you some tips. If the quad sounds like its reving to far it probably is, shift up to the next gear. Yes, i'd assume there is a rev limiter while in reverse. That would be normal. If your going along and you want to go faster, and the bike sounds like its reving out louder but not going faster, shift up to the next gear. It will be second nature to you after you've been riding it for a while. You'll wonder why you never bought a clutch type quad before. Enjoy.

Old 05-24-2002, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, congrats on your new "Z", I got mine about a week ago. My last ride was a Honda 300ex, not a bad ride but nothing as compared to the "Z".
About your "stalling while letting the clutch out" I had the same problem and so did the few people I allowed to ride it. I have gotten over the problem just from riding and practice. Altough I wonder if someone will come out with a heavier flywheel for the "Z" to keep the crankshaft inertia (I looked that one up in the dictionary) up at low RPM's. I know this can hinder the quick rev of the engine but I'm more of a mid range power guy myself.
Other than that the "Z" has built up my confidence in all aspects of riding,jumping, sliding, hill climbing, wheelies ect.
As for the reverse, I do believe the ignition has a rev limiter built in.

Old 05-24-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not reving it up and not gaining speed, its still gaining speed but it sounds like its revved up. I have ridden quads for along time and I know when its revved out and time to change gears. Your only supposed to use half throttle for the first 10 hours, I'm just wondering if the Z sounds revved out but it really isn't. I only have 4x4 quads to compare to so I don't know. I really want a tach for this reason. Hmmm...can half throttle actually rev out the quad? I know half throttle on my 500i won't rev it out to red line so how can my Z or other sport quads?

Old 05-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Half throttle can if your in to low a gear.

Old 05-25-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Yes lower the gear the more its going to rev but I don't think half throttle would rev it out. I don't do this often when I drive it. Even if it is revved out, it only happened a few times. I'll make sure tomorrow I don't do it. I think tomorrow I can put in 5 hours and sunday I'll be ready for 100% throttle. I really want a tach though.

Old 05-25-2002, 12:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Keep an eye on the Ron woods site. They list a tach for the DS650, Raptor and 400ex. They may list one soon for the Z400.

Ron Woods

Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the listing for the tach.