Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

ANYONE WITH A ZILLA OR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THEM HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to know the stock compression of a zilla and what things I should watch out for when purchasing it from someone.It doesnt start the greatest either,could that be because of old seals? Quick replies would be greatly apprectiated because Ive found one and its gonna go quick.

Old 05-27-2002, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

If it isn't the "greatest starter" and has low compression, chances are it needs a top end rebuild. When you get all the parts($150-$200 including bored cylinder) you can put it together in less than an hour and be ready to break her in. If the price is right, I'd ****** it up.

BTW, I fell sorry for anyone owning a Suzuki right now with problems, everyones to wrapped up in the Z to care!

Old 05-27-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Stock compression is around 140psi.

Look ,listen, and feel for vibration while idleing and running. They'll vibrate like crazy if the mains, crank or wrist pin bearings are bad.

Old 05-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

I brought a compression tester with when I went to see it and it came out to about 130-132. is that alright? "Not the greatest" meant it took about ten kicks start it cold. I also heard about some seals on the zillas engine needed to be replaced becuase there was a problem with them. Can someone give me info on that? I know ive got alot of questions but I need to know what im getting my self into.

Old 05-28-2002, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

That big 500cc piston is brutal to the main bearings. When the mains are bad the seals are too. Sometimes you have to have sleeves installed here($250). Its not a bad idea to rebuild the water pump($25). I know of 3 zillas by me, and non of them are easy to start. 10 kicks is excesive. Does it idle right down when warm? There might be a air leak. 170 is the highest you should have with pump gas. Mine was at 165 and still was a finicky starter. 130 isnt too bad stock. I`ve seen lower. Top ends are cheap but the guy should take some money off if your convinced it needs one.

Old 05-28-2002, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

The top end was just rebuilt and only has fifteen hours on it and it does idle lower when it is warm. do you think I should do a leak down test? Does the water pump commonly fail or is it just for better cooling?

Old 05-29-2002, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

The water pump is probly fine if the machine has been maintained. I change it because they should be in good working order on a 500. I dont mean idleing slower when warm. I mean when you rev it up does it come back down to idle. If it does not come down, then I would do a leak test. Also I was thinking if your not used to starting a zilla It could easily take ten kicks. You will get the hang of it. NO QUAD beats the power!

Old 05-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

thanxs for your help! I am not used to kicking it over so thats probably why, and yes it does slow down after you rev it so the seals are probably fine. I think I made the right desicion for a quad.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Just gotta chime in here,
I dont know why three Zillas that you know of would be hard to start.
My 88' Zilla starts up cold on either the first or second kick, EVERY time with the choke on.

When warm (dune riding), she may take 3 or 4 kicks to get the fire burnin.

-Matt

Old 06-02-2002, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an '87 and it's always hard staring, even after the top end was rebuilt. The 87's seem more problematic then the other years and this maybe one of those problems.

Quick Reply: ANYONE WITH A ZILLA OR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THEM HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!