Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki's vacuum fuel cock system: a dud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just realized my Eiger doesn't have an off position on the fuel ****. Dealer said it has a safety vacuum system that won't let gas run to the carb when engine isn't turning over, a safety feature. I've known some friends to have probs w/ this on Arctic cats, etc. Is this one of those safety features that just causes problems? I guess most quads are gravity fed as far as fuel but do they (other brands) use a vacuum hose, etc. I just got my NEW Eiger out of the shop for trash in the carb bowl and they called Suzuki and they suggested to check the vacuum hoses as they have been causing some trouble, but mine were fine. It seems to be running fine now, but it was runnming fine before till it quit on me a few times on hills and flats. Anyone have any insight on this, I didn't realize this aspect when I bought it...

02 Eiger 4x4 5sp/ green

Old 06-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Range Rover

vacuum fuel ***** have been around for years. At least since 1980. I just finished working on a 1980 Yamaha XJ650 that had one before I had to replace it because it leaked through the valve. New one was 54.00 so I got one for 14bucks from a Yamaha ATV that isn't vacuum operated and it works fine.
Obviously vacuum leaks will cause a problem with them but my bigger concern is what may happen when you're pulling a long steep hill relatively slow. Under these conditions the engine makes almost no vacuum. If the hill is long enough and you've lost enough suck to not keep the valve open then eventually you're gonna run the gas out of the fuel bowl.
The vacuum fuel ***** have a position called prime that allows fuel to run straight through the valve. Without it you could never get fuel into the carb after running it dry. Use this if you have concerns about the vacuum portion. Just remember to turn it back to run when you put the quad up. One other thing. In the prime mode you have no reserve.

Old 06-15-2002, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

My '89 gsxr-750 has this vacuum valve. No problems with it other than I just had to replace it due to a leak. After 11-12 years I guess something has to wear out. This system has been around a long time and I think they would have changed it if there was a problem. The only thing that is tricky is running the fuel out of the bowl to service the carb. I just remove the vacuum line and fire it up. Just like having the valve in the off position.