Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Changed front sprocket on Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the front sprocket on my Z last night to a 13 tooth and it seemed to have made a nice difference. I'll probably change the back to a 43 tooth when I go to 22 inch tall tires. Sidewinder has the front gears in stock. Ask for John. I wouldn't go any lower on the front due to issues with the chain guides.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Keep us posted friend, a lot of us are going with 22's also and are concerned with getting some better low end than stock once the change is made.
peace

Old 06-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

do you have a part number for the sprocket?

thanks

Old 06-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

It's at my house and I'm at the office right now. However John said it was the DRZ400 bike sprocket. I ordered the new tooled steel that wears longer than normal also. And you can't reuse the retaining plate and screws. You use a 7/8 inch C-clip to retain the sprocket just like the dirt bike. I lost a little top-end but I don't usually want to ride wide-open in the woods anyway. And I still don't see where people are saying these Z's lack low end punch. Mine will pull itself fine without even touching the throttle at idle and if you wack it open it will either stand straight up or start spinning. The sprocket change enhanced that even more and allows me to use second and third more on the trails. Plus it will now stand up in third real easy.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

<< It's at my house and I'm at the office right now. However John said it was the DRZ400 bike sprocket. I ordered the new tooled steel that wears longer than normal also. And you can't reuse the retaining plate and screws. You use a 7/8 inch C-clip to retain the sprocket just like the dirt bike. I lost a little top-end but I don't usually want to ride wide-open in the woods anyway. And I still don't see where people are saying these Z's lack low end punch. Mine will pull itself fine without even touching the throttle at idle and if you wack it open it will either stand straight up or start spinning. The sprocket change enhanced that even more and allows me to use second and third more on the trails. Plus it will now stand up in third real easy. >>

im a little confused for a second. all of that should go back to about normal when/if change tires to 22&quot; right?

Old 06-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't changed tires yet. When I change to 22 inch tires I will also raise the rear sprocket to a 43 tooth. I want the lower than stock gearing even after I change tires. The quad is too high geared for serious trails. Some of the difficult trails in Chadwick are in the trial bike area and they are a blast to try and climb with a quad. Somebody needs to invent quad trial competition. LOL

Old 06-18-2002, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

I want to go back one theeth too. Second gear is a little to fast for thight trail. In fact, there is good gearing difference between first and two but 3, 4, and 5 seem equal. This is not a bad point; the z-400 is design to go fast. I did'nt mind about loosing a little speed because I know even if I go back 1 teeth the top speed will be enough fast.

Here the specs for the z-400 gearing

Primary reduction ratio: 2.960

first gear: 2.538
2nd: 1.666
3rd: 1.238
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.846
reverse: 2.153

Old 07-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

What size (# of teeth?) is the stock front sprocket?

My friend's 400EX is now equipped with a 14tooth front &amp; K&amp;N filter, so he pulls away in 5th *doh* [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] He might have slightly more hours on his quad though.

Also, what's the advantage of taller rear tires? ground clearance?
Do you guys gear it so that, when you have the 22's, the ratio is still &quot;geared down&quot; compared to stock?

Old 07-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

Stock gearing is 14/40 I went with a 13 tooth front sprocket for lower gearing. And yes the taller tires give more ground clearance. I will be changing the rear sprocket to a 43 when I put taller tires on. I need the lower gearing for the steep trails I ride on. The only place I need 5th is the road beside the house.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Zookyridr,

Where did you get the 7/8 C-clip? I got my 13 tooth sprocket today, but didn't realize I'd need the C-clip.

Quick Reply: Changed front sprocket on Z