Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 v. Raptor on the trails? Compared to 400ex? How about the Cannibal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 03:31 AM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

khaynes74,

Jeremy is in his first season of GNCC. He also has not raced at all the events, hence the 14th posiotion in points.

Jeremy won the White Bros. Four Stroke National Championship which is a weekend long event with a long and grueling moto each day. This was at the Helens MX Raceway which is the same track that the opening round of the Outdoor nationals take place on each year.

STOCK Cannondale Moto 440s took 3 of the Top 5 positions with Jeremy finishing on top. He was not racing his Speed in this race. It was noted by everyone that there was not a single machine in attendance that didn't have an investment of at least $20,000....except for the 3 bone stock Cannondale Moto 440s.

Your information is incorrect regarding Cannondale engines. There have been no tranny failures unless it happened just recently. This was a fact that cannondale was extremly proud of justy one month ago at Pen headquarters. The engine failures that you are referring to are obviously the early 2002 Cannibal engines, which Cannondale have been replacing.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

zookyridr, I've got to chuckle at your comment about you like to support American jobs and not overseas jobs when you have a chance yet you chose to buy the Z over the C'dale. C'dale just had a refurbished program where basically new Cannibals were selling for $5000 or a little higher so price could not have been the issue. C'dale stands behind their products unlike any manufacturer in the industry so that would not have been the issue. Just curious why you make a statement like that but yet buy a Jap quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2002, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Where are the refurbish quads then? That is actually the main reason I didn't buy a Cannon is because there are no dealers in a 200 to 300 mile radius of where I live and I live near the 3rd largest city in Missouri. Gabe has one of the only Cannon's I've seen in this area and I ride at 1 of the biggest and most used riding area's in the state. Cannondale is new to the quad business so I believe I will wait and see how the Cannon's will do in the woods of Chadwick before I buy one. I've already heard several people say they aren't the best trail machines out there and that is my main use for a quad. Plus I've seen a couple of guys with battery problems on the forum which is related to bad stators. Chadwick is 1 place you don't want to be stranded. I will be looking into the Polaris Predator when it arrives to see if it's any good. We have Polaris dealers every 25 miles around here. I bought the Suzuki because it is a more modern quad than the 400EX and has reverse. Plus I have friends that have used Suzuki's Utility quads for years with no problems what so ever. And I haven't had any problems with either of my Suzuki's. But I will sell it if an American quad comes along with the same features and useability for trails.I race and tune on both carbed cars as well as late model fuel injected cars so the fuel injection is a big plus for me towards the Cannon I just want to see how they hold up to technical trail riding and being ridden slow in the rough stuff.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Crazyteen - if you're a motocrosser, buy a Cannibal. All the stock parts on the Cannibal hold up really well (except you might want to consider some reinforcement rings on the wheels) and you wouldn't need any big bore kit for the Dale to keep up with a Raptor. A stock Cannondale and a piped Raptor are about the same when it comes to power and speed. I don't even have a pipe (the motor is ALL STOCK) and I pull away from heavily modded R's, shee's, LT's, and EX's on the straights. The ONLY problem I have on the track is corners, but that's mainly because I suck at cornering. At the same time, racing is so much more rider than it is quad. I've been beat by a stock engined 400ex because the rider was just to good for me to keep up with him.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone by saying this, but the Raptors are just not good MX quads. They're tall, narrow, and tippy. If you read some of the other posts, even Raptor owners will say, "If you MX, buy a 400ex or Cannondale." Z400's will probably be good too but I haven't seen them on the track, and the axle might be an issue for you if you are low on cash. You could also buy a 250R but they aren't getting any younger. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a quad that is atleast 13/14 years old.

I would highly recommend the Cannondale Cannibal.

Old 07-11-2002, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Cannondale,Polaris and Artic Cat are not the only ATV's BUILT in the USA, Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki all have plants in the US that create more jobs for us americans. Maybe Kawasaki too but I am not sure. Plus someone has to sell and fix them and I know there is more Honda and Yamaha dealerships around than Polaris and Cannondale. Minnesota and Wisconsin are flooded with Polaris dealerships but that is to be expected since they sell snowmobiles.

So my point is just because the Big four are based overseas doesn't mean that buying one is hurting the economy.

As far as the powerband of the 400EX and Z400, the 400EX has more at the very bottom. I am talking when you first let out the clutch. After that the Z has more everywhere.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Yes but the corporate profits from a C'dale purchase stays in the USA, the coporate profits from the sale of a jap product go overseas!!

Old 07-12-2002, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

I follow local and the national Hare Scrambles....and I haven't heard of a Cannondale (with all updates and new engines) broke down on the trail, due to mechanical problems. I've bent my tie-rods and rims, but that's all I've heard/seen.

The typical "rec rider" will not like the Cannondale in the tight woods. It does want to be ridden fast. You need to play with the clutch in some situations. I use to stall my Dale alot in the woods. Then I had my idling raised, and the problem has gone away. It has a great throttle response also, which will give some riders fits. From experience, a built engine in a stock 400ex chassis, is a bear in the woods. All it wants to do is 2 wheel or wheelie. The 400ex's at the top of the Pro Production class are FAR from production. We're still talking $12,000 machines here. The majority of them you can not trail ride. You couldn't afford to. From re-ringing or rebuilding the engines to running race gas, it'd be hard. A Cannondale on the other hand, you can.

It takes a "seasoned rider" to make the Cannondale go through the woods quickly. It's alot of engine, and the stock Holeshots really hook up well. The handling is there though, in stock trim, it's hard to beat the Dale. The only setback is the lack of reverse. I cussed at the last guy I was racing on a Raptor....he was able to hit reverse and get around the bottleneck. I had to get off the quad and turn it around.....

Old 07-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

<< Yes but the corporate profits from a C'dale purchase stays in the USA, the coporate profits from the sale of a jap product go overseas!! >>

Moron! You are either 12 years old or a pretty nieve adult. What do you are about &quot;Corporate Profits&quot;? Companies such as 7/11, The GAP, Burger King, Westfield shopping malls (most of them), Sony, and hundreds of thousands of other companies are owned by international companies. This is a time of global economy here. Not to mention, I think Polaris and Bombardier are Canadian. You better check and see how much of other parts from C Dale, etc are from other countries.

If other countries didnt profit from business too, you would have your favorite Nike shoes or AF shirts. And other things such as cars and trucks would be so over priced you'd be walking. The efficiency of foriegn auto makers along with the ability to sell cars cheaper due to cheap labor, forcs the US auto manufacturers to keep their pric competitive. This goes for steel too. Electronics, clothing, non-perishable foods and so much more.

Old 07-12-2002, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Those cheap prices you are talking about are due to greedy business's taking jobs away from Americans and moving them overseas where there are less labor laws and the average wages are .98 an hour in Mexico. There have been over 700,000 jobs lost in the states since nafta was inacted. over 16000 in the state of Missouri alone. I would rather pay the high prices and keep Americans employed. You can't afford to buy many toys when everyone is working in the service industry which is where our nation is headed. And I live in and area where there are at least 7 factories setting empty that use to employ close to 5000 people just in this part of the state. I've personally been affected by plant closings on both sides of the state and it's not a pretty picture seeing people loose their jobs to oversea's countries because of greed. If people don't loose your stupid attitude and wake up we all will be working down at the local McDonalds. And Polaris is located in Roseau Minn. Bombardier is in Canada.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

This is right off of the Cannondale website's mid season report:

GNCC:

&quot;In the GNCC, team riders have combined for a total of eight top-ten finishes in 18 races with NO DNF's.
Along the way they have finished ahead of many top pro cross country riders including Bill Balance (#1), Bradley Page (#3), Chris Borich (#5), and Curtis Crump (#8).
Combining both the GNC and GNCC totals, Team Nac's/Cannondale has 30 top-ten finishes in 46 races, with 13 podium appearances and five wins.&quot;

So, that backs my post about no broken down Cannondales along the trail....

And why are the 400's winning? Because they're putting top class racers on anything but &quot;Production 400exs&quot;. Simple fact....

I've heard talk of Chris Borich racing a Cannondale later this year? Anyone else heard that?

Quick Reply: Z400 v. Raptor on the trails? Compared to 400ex? How about the Cannibal?