Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Cleaning a Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty new to this whole quad thing. I had one many years ago and just washed it with a hose. What do you guys do to keep the plastic in top shape? My roommate has a DS-650 that looks like crap and I do not want my new Z to go down that road. My snowmobile is painted so that gets washed and waxed. I have no idea what to do for molded plastic. Any sugestions?

Old 08-09-2002, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

I just wash it like my car. I use a regular sponge and soap to wash it down with. I also use a soft bristled brush to get the mud off it before hand. It comes in really handy for under the fenders too. But I've learned that if you let mud set on the fenders for a while, it will stain your plastic. So as long as you get the mud off it after you ride, you won't have a problem.

Old 08-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Range Rover

I have found that the best way to keep it looking new is to use a small HP washer to get all the mud and dirt off. When it dries, lightly spray with armoral and wipe withdry cloth.

Old 08-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

The absolute best thing I found for cleaning the quad is called HondaBrite. U should be able to get it at any honda dealer. Its expensive but a little goes a long way, just lightly mist it onto ur quad after u have hosed off all the loose mud, let t sit a couple of minutes and hose it off. This stuff works like magic.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

After I wash, on the plastic I have always used Eagle 1 Plastic - Protectant and Polish spray. The stuff is great. The small bottle will last years. I pick it up at Auto Zone.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

The best thing to do is first off get paper towles and brush the dirt off. than i use a hose to spray it all down then i bought some spray cleaner at the dealer that you spray on the plastics, seat and other plastic material and wipe it down with a rag. For stuff like a-arms, swing arm and things of that nature i jsut hose it and wipe it. one thing to remember is to not let water into your exhaust or into the air box.

Old 08-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Also another neat trick is if you get into mud often you know how it sticks to the underside of your fenders and they start o sag. Well I spray a good coat of WD40 on the underside of my fenders and mud just rolls off and makes washing it easier. It works on the engine and other parts also just try not to get it on the header.

Old 08-13-2002, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

Beleive me I have tried just about everything [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have found that Grease Lightning diluted workd awesome. I spray off the heavy mud, and then spray everything with the Greased Lightning, and hose it again, it removes 99% of the mud and stains. It even works in hard to get spots where you can't reach.

LOBE
~~~~

Old 08-13-2002, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

<< The absolute best thing I found for cleaning the quad is called HondaBrite >>

HondaBrite is the exact same thing as Pledge

I use Pledge on my plastic, mixed with hot water first spray down with a Garden Hose, I'd stay away from a Pressure Washer, because the Z400 is Liquid cooled, and the radiator, and a Pressure Washer don't really mix. With your Garden Hose get &quot;the worst of it&quot; then use a car wash mitt with the solution of Pledge, and water, the kind of mitt that's like a glove, buy them at an Auto Parts Store. Stay away from brissled Brushes, ATV plastic scratches real easy. the PLedge cleans real good and smells good too, If you really want it to shine, wipe it down with Turtle Wax formula 2001, It's a spray, similar to armoral, but armoral will overtime fade plastic, and make it brittle. I have found Turtle Wax Formula 2001 to shine better than anything, and it won't hurt the plastic, use it on your tires too. As for the wheels, and other aluminum, get some Blue Magic polish, after a good coat of that on your wheels, it will repell dirt/ mud etc.

Old 08-14-2002, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

I just finished a ride last Saturday outside of Bryce Canyon Natiional Park in Southeastern Utah. I rode as a guest with an ATV club located in Fillmore, UT.

The people were great, the ride was the best ever, but I was teased about using Armorall on my plastic. The reason being that dust just coated the plastic like flour in a greased cake pan.

As I read the above posts, can you guys tell me how these different products do in dust? Seems the Armorall'd parts do attract the dust.

Mark

Quick Reply: Cleaning a Quad?