Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Boring the stock Zilla carb.. whats too much??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boring the stock Zilla carb.. whats too much??

Ive got the Carb ready to go. Need to know what to tell him. 41mm or 44mm or what?
What kind of jetting should I start with after I get it back together?

It ported, piped, carb will be either 41 or 44mm, the head will be shaved for high compression.
Jetting??

Also, is the needle on the Zilla carb adjustable? I couldnt figure out how to get it out of the slide.
Thanks.

-Matt

Old 11-06-2002, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

I looked in my service manual and it doesnt look to be adjustable it only shows one notch for the clip.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

What happened to your Banshee ? I am glad you sobered up and went with a real quad. I run a 41.5 Keihin pkw in my LT500 and I dont know what the stock card was or will do. I had a 44 on mine and LRD said it was to big. Who is doing your motor work?

Old 11-07-2002, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys whats up
I decided to keep the Zilla and try to work with it.
I know its got great potential. I just need to get it jetted correctly.. get my thumb throttle and loose the twist.

Got my thumb throttle on order, gonna order a new front sprocket, got my head and carb on my counter ready to go.
Guy who built my motor (Jeff @ Tudors) says the 115psi compression sounds perfectly normal. He told me that 2 strokes build compression with RPM. So If I were to get a buddie to help me push the bike to build a little RPM the PSI would skyrocket.

I was able to get into 4th gear up olds hill before with the stock sprockets. (my damn V-paddles spinning like crazy though)
I figure the head shaved for high compression (race gas), the carb bored to 41MM, the porting and possibly a new pipe.. it should be fun.
Also, I could harldy ride worth a crap with the twist throttle. The thumb will improve my riding considerably.

-Matt

Old 11-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mr350X
Ive got the Carb ready to go. Need to know what to tell him. 41mm or 44mm or what?What kind of jetting should I start with after I get it back together?It ported, piped, carb will be either 41 or 44mm, the head will be shaved for high compression.Jetting??Also, is the needle on the Zilla carb adjustable? I couldnt figure out how to get it out of the slide.Thanks. -Matt
Who's boring the carb for you ? Mine is bored to 39.5, I'm not real happy with it. Low end throttle response isn't great. I have a 25 pilot, needle in third from top clip, 410 main. It's a little rich this way, but safe.

The needle is adjustable, look into the top of the slide, remove the two small phillips head screws.

Old 11-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who's boring the carb for you ? Mine is bored to 39.5, I'm not real happy with it. Low end throttle response isn't great. I have a 25 pilot, needle in third from top clip, 410 main. It's a little rich this way, but safe.
on your current setup i would try a bigger pilot jet for better lowend throttle response,sounds like you're a little lean down low.thats why they bog or don't respond well off idle is when they are lean down low..

and 350X i myself would not run that motor with only 115 pounds of compression.i would redo the compression check and make sure the adapter on the tester is long like the spark plug so that it goes all the way through the head like a spark plug ,and be sure to hold the throttle wide open when kickin it over.
if you call cometic they will be happy to make you a thinner base gasket of ..012 thick and that will up your compression and give you amazing low and mid power without losing any topend.

you can also get a thinner head gasket so that you don't have to shave the head
it's alot easier to replace head gaskets then trying to repair a head that has too much shaved off.
once you get above 170 pounds of compression you will need to run race fuel all the time.
if you have any further questions feel free to message me.

Old 11-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the needle in the stock carb IS adjustable. Look on page 5-4 of your service manual at the bottom left, it shows you where to have the needle in different temp. Looks like there's a couple of screws holding that needle in the slide. I can't tell you for sure cuz I have a Keihin on my Zilla. Good luck

Old 11-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replys guys.

KX, the threads on the tester are no as long as the plugs threads.
How much does this affect it? Must quite a bit, I guess.

Anyway, I think the motor is in pretty good shape. The cylinder walls dont look scuffed up or scratched.

Hey guys, what is a good size main jet to run? I think I have a 460 or something pretty big in there.... am I too rich?
(for glamis, about 260 feet elevation)

Thanks

Old 11-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

as far as the comp . im running a cool head witha 62 cc dome and it hit 220 lbs comp . with a 39mm khein bored to a 41 running a pro design 1/2 inch spacer and it pulls real hard through out the entire range . if you keep the minkuni i would run about a 410 to 420 main and a 30 to 35 piolt jet . i also run sunoco c12 race gas which is 112 oct .

Old 11-08-2002, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

350X i think donzilla is right on with his setup.it's sounds like his is dialed in pretty good.yeah you might wanna try a a smaller main and a bigger pilot.
and the length of the compression fitting will make a considerable difference. so i would try and find the right size fitting that goes on there.you should be able to find one at any parts store.

Quick Reply: Boring the stock Zilla carb.. whats too much??