Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Did Suzuki Get The Z400 Swingarm Geometry Wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Suzuki Get The Z400 Swingarm Geometry Wrong???

I hate to think about the AMP LINK, because it has gotten so much bad press in this forum before!! I have heard stuff like it wears out after a couple of rides, etc. But, it was designed specifically to eliminate just this particular problem. Anybody who has used it have an opinion???

Cannibal-The chain torque causes the swingarm to extend, not compress. This is a well known phenomenon, and has been a problem on various bikes over the years. The result is that as the swingarm extends it locks out the suspension, not to mention bucking you into the air. So, you hit the bumps like you are on a hardtail, plus traction is reduced. It isn't so noticeable on bikes with less power, because they don't develope the strong torque to make it happen. Maybe, the stock Z doesn't do it to bad, and it just shows up when you start moding the engine?? That may be why it hasn't been noticed by many people???

FMF ran an ad a few years ago with a Banshee in the sand under hard acceleration. It was titled "Weather Forecast: Sand Storm", and in the picture you can clearly see that the bikes swingarm is fully extended. If Suzuki had just change this one thing ever so slightly, this bike would be near perfect.

Surfer-Let us know how it works out!

Old 12-03-2002, 01:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

As you probably already know...you can run a tad more slack in your chain for increased swingarm mobility + increased chain life!

Old 12-03-2002, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

[

Cannibal-The chain torque causes the swingarm to <STRONG>extend</STRONG>, not compress. This is a well known phenomenon, and has been a problem on various bikes over the years. The result is that as the swingarm extends it locks out the suspension, not to mention bucking you into the air. So, you hit the bumps like you are on a hardtail, plus traction is reduced. It isn't so noticeable on bikes with less power, because they don't develope the strong torque to make it happen<STRONG>. Maybe, the stock Z doesn't do it to bad, and it just shows up when you start moding the engine?? That may be why it hasn't been noticed by many people???</STRONG>

Could you please explain to me how, exactly the torque of the motor causes the suspension to extend?!? The countershaft sprocket pulls the chain from the top, so that all the tension is on the length of chain ABOVE the swingarm. Imagine for a moment that the rear axle won't turn at all.If the motor tugs on the part of the chain above the swingarm when you hit the throttle how does it
Push it down? Have someone watch you while you ride through a section of whoops, I'd be pretty amazed if you weren't using up most of the rear travel when running at a fast pace. You are right about one thing though the rear suspension of any quad behaves differently depending on whether or not you have the throttle pinned, but I believe the reason why is closer to what I described.

Old 12-04-2002, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

surfer,
will it be a link or no-link set up. and man i really could feel teh difference with the no- link when i was bombing the whoops at test hill( well at least I thought i was bombin them. lol)

Old 12-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Cannibal-I'm not a Physics Professor. You will have to figure this one out for yourself!! The chain is pulling from the TOP, and the only way the swingarm has to go is DOWN. A shallow angle on the swingarm, minimizes the effect. Like I said, this is a well known phenomenon that bike designers have had to deal with since day one, so I didn't just cook this idea up myself.

Old 12-04-2002, 12:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

All that would be needed is a spring loaded arm / guide atop the swingarm that would feed additional couple of inches of chain when the suspension is compressed and still keep the chain tight for uncompressed situations. Probably an enclosed unit too resist mis-alignment problems. Should'nt be a huge task??? (note too self....aftermarket needs too act on this design)

Old 12-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Gary-That is kind of what the AMP Link does. It is an additional roller that goes on top of the swingarm. The chain tension is then between the engine and the Amp Link, rather than between the engine and the end of the swingarm. Because the AMP Link is high up on the swingarm, it doesn't have any leverage to pull the swingarm down. I have not been able to find a web site for AMP Research the manufacturer of the link, otherwise I would let them explain the principle.

Old 12-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is a company called GT Thunder that I found while surfing. He is addressing this problem with a different swing arm that I think he is building. The guy has done quite a bit of dyno time trying different engine things and has some good data to support his feelings. Bear in mind I have not bought anything nor am I endorsing him. I am mearly sharing a resource.
Thanks,
Tracy

Old 12-05-2002, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

I KNEW IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

z400's DO SUCK

lol j/k
I thought this would be funny

Old 12-06-2002, 12:03 AM
WP
Pro Rider

I went to replace the missing bolt and found out is was broken, not missing. How does that break? What a p.o.s.

Quick Reply: Did Suzuki Get The Z400 Swingarm Geometry Wrong???