Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Brother In Law Trashed My Rebuilt LT250R

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 12:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brother In Law Trashed My Rebuilt LT250R

Sorry...I just need to vent. Let my brother in law ride my newly rebuilt 87 lt250R today out at the Tri County ATV park in MN and he totally messed it up. Had been riding ATV's for a total of five minutes and thought he could ride up a big *** hill. Well he couldn't!!!!!!! 100+ hours of work and I got to ride it for ten minutes before it had a broken steering stem, bent renthal handle bars, cracked new plastic, bent front wheel, ripped seat, and above all messes the carb when the handle bars went flying off and ripped the top of the carb off. Thats just what I could see from pushing back to my truck. I know I'm the dumb *** that let someone else ride my baby, but I just wanted to share the pure enjoyment I feel when I ride.......use to ride that is. Please share your stories and ease my pain.............Maybe this means I Z400 is in my Christmas Stocking. ouh wait...my wifes still pissed on how much I spend restoring the LT. Is there anyway to steer a quad without handlebars....I really want to ride. Sad Sad Sad.......

Tip: Dont let people who play Off Road Feary on PS2 ride your quad..................

Old 12-04-2002, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Did your brother in law at least offer to pick up the tab for fixing it?!?! I let my brother ride my quads when he is in town. He's careful but the riding area has some tricky areas. Thought a couple times he was gonna lose it but made it. At least with him, I would feel really guilty if he got hurt. He likes to ride though so I hate to deprive someone of it.

Old 12-04-2002, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

(edit: second part of the post didn't really make sense... lol)

(2nd edit: actually, the entire post didn't really make sense so I deleted it... um... time for bed...)

Old 12-04-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

hey 87racerider , ive got a stem out of my lt500 that i am not using if you need another one . fresh blackpowder coated and straight . i will sell it cheap to get rid of it . if you are interested pm me an i will give you details . also got the stock 500 mikuni carb fresh rebuilt (38mm).

Old 12-04-2002, 01:34 AM

I think he's got an LT250R, man.

Old 12-04-2002, 02:00 AM
Range Rover

GUIDO...When I saw my newlt rebuilt quad flipping down that hill like a gymnast on meth....all I was think was I hope my b. in law is ok. It kinda looked like one of those crashes on the TV. I think the quad may have landed on his head! Only after I found out he was in one piece did my heart break for my four wheeled baby. I know what you mean by feeling bad if he got hurt on your quad. Maybe we need to take a little time to train our beloved friends and family before we sit them on these machines. As my BIL said he felt confident........until he lost control and pinned the throttle into a ditch in the side of a hill.

As far as picking up the bill, just my luck he lost his job last week because of corporate cutbacks. I would have to be pretty cold to ask for money right now. Good thing the snow is coming and my sleds can hit the trails.

Thanks...

Old 12-04-2002, 02:02 AM
Range Rover

Well, here's a story for you. I had problems with my Polaris 400 wearing out rings for some reason. Turned out that the sleeve was separating from the cylinder. So instead of resleeving, I just bought a new cylinder ($300) and new piston ($100) and all the gaskets of course. After getting it all together and running, I let my friends girl friend ride it while we went to work on his 250R. About 30 min later, I returned to our riding area to find her laying on the 4 wheeler almost asleep, which I thought she was just waiting on us. She then said it started making noises and it just quit. I was thinking no big deal maybe something came loose. But after pulling the rope and feeling no compression, and hearing a squeak in the process, I knew I was in trouble. I looked at the temp gauge and it was stuck on 300 degrees. That's right, it got so hot it stuck on the other side and didn't return. Turns out it was just a busted water hose, but she didn't realize it was leaking nor did she even know what that gauge was for. It just had to happen when she rode it, things had to go wrong that I would have caught. Another $150 dollars and I was riding again. But I have the melted piston and gauge I keep in my shop just as reminders that no one rides without me watching.

Old 12-04-2002, 02:11 AM
Range Rover

Yeh.. I dont want to be that guy who doesn't share his toys but this one kinda hurts. 400F...whats worse...finding your quad dead....or watching it die!! Please keep the stories coming......may keep me from having to go to a shrink to discuss my feelings of lose.

Old 12-04-2002, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

I hate it when people ask to ride my stuff but i feel bad, Ive put countless hours into putting my bike back into like new shape and i cant stand the thought of some idiot screwing it up. I mean the guys that ask to ride it think there evil canivle, and the truth is they are more like awful kanawful, i dont want them pullin crap on my quad so they dont ride it.

EsHe

Old 12-04-2002, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd had my brand new LT125 quad about a month, just finished the break-in and was doing a little flat-trackin' in a big open field and my friend wanted to try it. he jumps on, takes off and proceeds to roll it and bust up the headlight and tweak the grab bar.
i ran over and saw he was ok and started cussin' him out![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Brother In Law Trashed My Rebuilt LT250R