Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Hey Vinson owners...need straight up input

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Vinson owners...need straight up input

I'm with you too. Over the last month I have bombarded every ATV site on the web, about the Vinson 5-speed. The only concerning thing I heard was that the differentials were weak. That rumor was started by a Honda guy. trying to cause trouble. Dozens of owners came forward and slapped down the turd.
This is a very good winter to buy. The best price I found was $100 under MSRP out the door. That was the dealers opening price. They are not selling alot of ATV's. Good Luck

Old 01-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone in here shift there vinson from 2 wheel to 4 and such on the go? I know it says not to in the owners manual.

Old 01-10-2003, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't initially, but I do now. I take my thumb off the throttle when I do so there's no load on the transmission or engine when going in or out of 4WD.

Mark

Old 01-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

I've had my Vinson for 11 months and have no issues with it. The ergonomics are great and during a trip to Arkansas, could spend all day on the Vinson in comfort. The sporty look and the feel from the seat are what sold me on it. I had considered a Grizzly, but the Vinson just seemed to fit. The 500 is strong, but you do lose some snap in the auto tranny. I find myself riding very aggressive, and after tightening the suspension recently, it handles much better. The stock settings were softest at all 4 corners. I'm not into the deep mud, so the lack of a front locker doesn't bother me. The 4x4 system has worked beautifully when I needed it.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I was not starting trouble. I was just telling you about the Vinsons problem. I do not care what you buy. I just sell the parts. It is your pocket your money comes out of. You will wreck it. You will break it. That is life. How much money you will pay for parts to fix it is your choice, on what brand and model you buy.

Old 01-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

Harw, what are you talking about? im kind of assuming u meant for ur message to go to a different post or person.....not suzuki's??? i appreciate the input but i can't remember getting a line from u before.
anyways, ive been riding for years and i can say it depends on the rider if u will wreck it or not....assuming nobody else causes the wreck. as for parts, ive been fortunate so far and i consider myself a cautious rider and probably over investigate a model before i purchase it.

on another note.....i think im bout ready to spring for a grizzly in a couple of days. if i pull the trigger ill be getting it for 6550 OTD and the best i can do on a vinson is about 6309 OTD. i do like the vinny and it seems really comfortable but i'd have to spend the extra 250 bucks to get a bigger engine and IRS.

problem is, there are actually so many well built quads out there and the competition is so stiff u really don't know which to buy. oh well.

i finally got to ride a buddy's griz last night and i can say a few things about it. first of all i DID NOT like the IRS cuz it felt to tippy and unstable, however, after some saddle time i appreciated the cush ride and got used to the tippy feeling. i was so used to my swingarm rancher that it felt the wheels were off the ground on the griz when the suspension would flex. after about 10 - 15 minutes on it i found that i could actually control the griz good in powerslides and it no longer felt overly big. impressive to say the least.

earlier in the night i raced my rancher against my other buddy's rubicon and got smoked by about 6 quad lenths after being eaten off the line....rightfully so considering the CC differences. then i raced the griz against the ruby and smoked it with authority. this was done w/ an 02 griz that has been completely submerged 3 times in the past and currently had 27 inch meats on it. the way it looks....i wouldn't give the guy 1500 bucks for it (seriously) but it has been through he$* and back and is still running strong. the oil has been milky numerous times and even driven that way (though i wouldn't do that w/my own) and the trans has never failed or gave an indication it would fail.

thx for all the input and ill advise what i buy

Old 01-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry atvdep, That message was for snipper bait.

Old 01-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

no prob bro...(Harw) that really caught me off guard. by the way, i opened my mouth too soon....i flipped my rancher on me this afternoon by doin somethin stupid. i accidently hit the back brake instead of the front while rolling downhill backwards....oops!! hate when that happens. glad it wasn't a sportsman.
by the way, i see ur from west virginia. me and my girl went to the hatfield & mccoy trails last summer. what would be one of the best trailheads to hit? course they're probably pretty much all good.

ride safer than me

Old 01-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Harw:
Did not mean to flame. That post was over at ATV Outdoors. Was that you? this may be more then i thought. What did you hear about the Vinson Diffs? SniperBait

Old 01-12-2003, 11:45 AM
Range Rover

jcsact/MnTurboPaws

You should have rode the kawi more...i understand how the manual shifting may put up a false speculation that the vinson is sportier but that kawi is about as sporty as they come for a big bore. Now I am not a kawi die-hard and agree with what you say not so much on the clutch as the belt issue...i have talked several friends into the vinson and the eiger for value/money purposes...but if they have the money and will use that power i have to recommend the kawi. Dont undersell that Kodiak either...predessor gave birth to many of the features we find key in these quads today...the 450 has refined them and added a differential lock which is handy if you mud or play in the snow alot...but you would love either the vinson or the kodiak 450...I believe yamaha made some bad decisions with their 400 version.

Back to the Kawi...v-twin (being a harley guy you have to appreciate that), sealed brake, lock differential, and solid rear axle to boot. I have warrior riders and others come over and challenge me to races and leave with their heads down. Been on trails with ex's and scramblers and fly through trails just as fast or faster...very rider dependent. This thing will powerslide with a flick of the thumb, jumps and lands well for a quad this size (i say that as you cant really compare it to a z400 now can you), climbs like a mountain goat, will wheelie at a stand still, muds with the best of them and plays in the snow if you have replaced the stock tires. As far as the dated design...the design puts the gas tank lower and in the back so the weight is more evenly distributed and establishes a lower center of gravity (love that for off-camber and climbing)...the v-twin is a quad specific engine (designed specifically for quads) and is the most detuned powerplant on the market...this is true raptor and Z owners...and probably why minor mods to your vinson gives you the preception it does...kawi is greatly restricted at top end...."Kawasaki retards the timing approximately 24 degrees at 50 mph and various amounts throughout the r.p.m range" (quote from someone who is studying the CDI issue). Once aftermarket CDI hits this thing will be scarey. But set that aside in case you are not a big mod'er...its still one of the strongest plants totally detuned (timing is restricted or retarded or something). The prairie is by far the most sportiest big bore utility quad made...this is commen knowledge in most trade magazines and industry circles.

Now i am not a kawi salesman and think the vinson is an outstanding quad. It is an exceptional value, very sporty as well, and gutsy quad. But you cant undersell the kaw...you may not be able to sneak up to birds on it (man i love the sound of that v-twin)...but you can go so fast you can be upon them before they take off. But get familiar with belt maintenance until gates comes out with a new belt.

Quick Reply: Hey Vinson owners...need straight up input