Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Hey Vinson owners...need straight up input

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Vinson owners...need straight up input

ok...got a 00' rancher now. i like it, plow snow w/it, trail ride w/it, but it beats me up after a while. no problems though. my g-friend has a 00' trailblazer and when i hop on that i love the cush suspension and tight turning radius. my dilemna is.....between the new rancher 400 comin out / the 450 kodiak / and the 03 vinson 500 auto. im thinkin i will like the zuk best as it seems big and is plush to sit on in the dealership (haven't been able to ride one, though) i read from some other vinson owners that the plastic moves over the fuel gauge after a time and i also read that the front (or rear) brakes have been known to go out at about 200 miles, weird [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. actually went to the dealership today and moved the tank plastic around the ruel gauge easily.
as long as the vinny rides plush, turns relatively tight, and is reliable then i will like it. i know it has more guts than my rancher and the 250 trailblazer so i will be content. just lookin' for some HONEST input from owners who can provide more info than a magazine's 5 hours that they spend on them. thanks

Old 01-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

i have never ridden any of them, but this is just the opinion i draw from the trannys and creature comforts. i dont like that rancher 400 because of the tranny, heard some not so nice stories about it. the yamaha is ok, again i dont like the tranny. the zuki is the way to go i think. the manual has a dual range tranny, its big, sturdy, has everything. but you give up the diff lock. go with the zuki

Old 01-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 95 wolverine and a 2002 vinson, and have ridden many other quads. the wolverine beats u up a bit but it a lot of fun. i can ride the vinson all day in any condition, and i never feel beat up.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I have a couple of Vinsons with around 1100 mi. on each. I'm having a hard time understanding how the plastic can move over the fuel guage. Are you referring to the black plastic around the tank? It's a two piece that's secured with three plastic pins on each side. There are small plastic fingers underneath that interlock where the two sides meet in the center rear of the tank.

You have to remove the plastic to change the plug, put a tach on the plug wire to set the idle speed, or do any carb work (jet kit), adjust the valves, etc. These small fingers have broken on both of my Vinsons . But the plastic never even approached the fuel guage.

I fixed the problem by using Shoo-Goo and cut lengths of plastic ties and Shoo-Goo'd them together. The Shoo-Goo is a flexible rubbery glue that was used to repair running shoes a few years ago. I don't know if it's still available. It's soft enough to flex when you're riding rough stuff, and the plastic ties are strong enough in tension to hold both sides together. I'd bet that SuperGlue would work just as well.

This setup is better than the original. I was kind of peeved at Suzuki for the cheap design.

You asked for straight up info so I'll mention one other thing. On the 2002 Vinsons, the 12V outlet has a 5amp fuse. About the only thing I can use it for that doesn't blow that fuse is my GPS. If you try to run a 12V air pump from the outlet, you'll blow the fuse. I'm using a 10amp fuse in there now and taking my chances with it. The good news is that for 2003, Suzuki is supposed to have increased the power capacity of the outlet.

The Vinsons ride plush for a solid axle rear-end, but not as smooth as a 4 wheel independent suspension machine with equivalent suspension travel. Definitely ride one before you make your decision. I have mine set to the softest settings. I'm very pleased with the ride, reliability, gas mileage (25-30 mpg), power, and style. I've said it before, I think the Vinson delivers the best bang for the buck.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Old 01-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

thanks....preciate all the input. anybody having questions bout a rancher or trailblazer let me know

Old 01-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Range Rover

I bought my wife an 2003 Vinson 5 spd........had a 2003 Prairie 360 4x4...but for our use, it was underpowered...My friend and I drive the 03 650 Prairies..we like them alot..But I find myself looking forward to drive the vinson 5 spd more than the 650 Prairie...The vinson has a more motorcycle feel to it...comming from a Harley rider...I enjoy the vinson more than the 650 prairie..Highly recommended to get the vinson....99% of our riding, is in the Black Hills of south dakota...

Old 01-05-2003, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

MnTurboPaws,
I see where you say you look forward to riding the Vinson a little more then the P650 now. I have also thought about the P650 because of all the people I have heard say they have a sportier feel to them.
Can you tell me more of why you like the Vinson?
Is it because of shifting?
What kind of riding is there in Black Hills

I like to ride fast trails with a few obstacles every once in awhile not a real mud fan.

Old 01-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

Jcsact & atvdep...Hello...The reasons we enjoy the vinson a little more than the Prairie 650...We like the 5 spd transmission..we are used to shifting the Harleys..and with the vinson we can cruise in 3rd gear 10 to 15 mph very quietly..we have been able to sneak up to wild life with a less reving engine...and like I said ..the machine has a motorcyle feel to it,that you have to drive to experience...very well made unit....We do like the v twin prairies...But the design is starting to get a "dated look" and would expect kaw to upgrade the style soon...I'am not convinced kawasaki has the auto clutch dialed in yet..taking apart the clutch and putting spacers in, taking spacers out...kinda sucks if you dont have the time to do it...I do all my own work on most everything..(Master ASE certified)..I also like the 3rd light on the vinson..40 watt..The digital dash on the kaw of mine...stays on after you remove the key..even after a week..The digital fuel gauge just stays half lit up...I will take it in to the dealer before the warranty runs out...what bugs me is both machines have a manual idle speed turn ****...with large hands its hard to reach in under the plastic covers and adjust...so a friend of mine that has access to a machine shop,made a nifity little device that bolts on under the mirror, then runs down under the plastic handle bar cover, over to the thumb depresser..the result is..you can adjust the idle very easy with a small turn **** ..right next to the depresser...His son in law is a small engine instructor in a tech school..made a washer that fits under the carb needle jet, and then you drill out the brass jet...the result is an unbelievable stunning mid range and higher speed 650.....and about the black hill of s.d...IF you know where to drive and go..(some areas are OFF limits year round)...its really great..we have about 25 acres of land out there..might sell the 5 acres lot between sturgis and deadwood and keep the others...Bottom line if your thinking about the 650 Prairie...they need to dial in the clutch better and move on with new design prairie...later..oh..atvdep..I'am not a badge..a biker friend of ours is...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

thx for the info....im worse than a woman and cant make up my mind. vinson? sportsman? kawi? couple more days of this and im just gonna flip a coin and see what happens. thx to all....would be nice to all ride together someday.

Old 01-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Atvdep,
I hear you. I am in the same boat right now. I feel like a woman trying to figure out what to wear for an evening out on the town. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
But I still have a little time I have to sell my Wolverine 1st before I can buy another 4-wheeler. At least that is what the wife said. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Hey Vinson owners...need straight up input