Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Raptor problems vs. Z400 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor problems vs. Z400 problems

I am thinking about buying a 2003 raptor or z400. I have heard of numerous problems with the z400 and the raptor. One of my brothers friends has a raptor and he says that they end up working on the thing for about a half an hour every time they try to start it, so i am alittle worried about that and i don't know if i want a raptor now. I have also heard that there are lots of problems with the z400's frame cracking. I would really appreciate it if you could help me. I am going to be buying my new quad at the end of February.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:21 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: IowaOutkast
One of my brothers friends has a raptor and he says that they end up working on the thing for about a half an hour every time they try to start it, so i am alittle worried about that and i don't know if i want a raptor now.
I would have to hang around your brothers friend for awhile to see what there doing wrong.

Other than changing the oil, air filter cleaning and looking after the chain I don't do anything else to mine.

I think they are creating there own problems.

I even have the dreaded 01 Raptor and I right now wouldn't be afraid to get on the machine and ride the whole county and in the very near future when it warms up thats what I will be doing.

Chet

Old 02-03-2003, 08:05 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

As far as I know, Yamaha has done a pretty good job of taking care of most of the troubles that plagued the 01 Raptors. Not sure about the Starter issues.

The Z400 had troubles with the Axles on the early ones, but it apears that they have remedied that situation. The issues concerning frames that seem to self destruct, my PERSONAL belief is that the type of riding and the amount of abuse that are put on these machines has a large part to do with the frame failures. A lot (NOT ALL) of the explanations about how peoples frames got broke or bent, include the words "When I Crashed...", "When I Wrecked it..." or "When I Ran Into it...".

Myself and a couple of my buddies all ride 03 KFX400's, and we have not experienced any of the failures that I read about on this Forum. One friend has crashed his KFX, 3 different times, including rolling it down a hill and it ending upside down in a creek. The worst thing that has happened is messed up plastic but that is to be expected. By all means do not take my word as the authority on any of these issues. I can only state that for me, to date, I have had NO troubles with my KFX400 and I have already put a ton of hours on it.

The users of this Forum are a good cross section of the Quad riding public. However concidering the number of Raptors & Z/KFX400 sold over the last few years, we are definately a Small cross section. It's like anything else. You get good ones, and you get bad ones. No make of ATV is without its share of horror stories, and yet we all continue to buy them. Good luck with whichever one you choose.

Old 02-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a z400 and have had zero problems I also have 4 other friends with them also no problem two of them love to jump at the track
I recently also taped one of them jumping about 8 to 9 in the air landed very hard it did flake the paint off of the area they say is a problem but no break.......... I think abuse has a lot to do with it

Old 02-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

I've hit a tree, taken a few abusive landings and abused my Z400 with no problems so far *knock on wood*

My friend has had no transmission problems with his Raptor either.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have beat the snot out of my Z, ride it like a mad man every chance I get. Never had 1 single problem.
If your going to try and break a quad, you eventually will, but so far so good for me.
You would most likely not have a major problem with either a new Z or a Raptor.
Z good points-
(1) light wight
(2) great Handling
(3) good power
(4) tons of aftermarket support

Raptor good points-
(1) 660cc power monster (when modded)
(2) Ok Handling
(3) tons of aftermarket support

Try them both and get what you like better. Both great quads.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

i just sold my raptor to get my z400.i didnt have a real problem with the raptor except the starter was going rite before i got it,,but it had the extended warranty and yamaha is fixing it for the new owner..i like the z400 better..just my opion

Old 02-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i have beatin the **** out of my z and i thought it was doing a great job holding up to the track time ive been putting on it untill this past wknd, when i broke the axle in half off of a little jump that i got no more than mayb 2ft of air. i love my quad and i def wouldnt trade it 4 nething else but i was 1 of the unlucky 1's and got an earlier model z, now im just hoping there going to replace it under warranty.

z400
full skids
nerfs
mx holeshots on douglas rims

Old 02-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '01 Raptor and haven't had the first problem with it. It's very reliable so far. The only thing that has gone wrong was a bent tie rod, but that was my fault.......cartwheels don't work well on quads [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
I can't comment on the Z400's reliability, but have heard the rumors of cracked frames and bent axle's. I think either quad would be a great choice, it just depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

Old 02-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

there's no riight answer to this. I boughht the Z400 based on so many happy customers that have them. Seems like everywhere I went most everyone was positive. For me that was enough to make a decision. However if I bought a Raptor or just about any other highend quad I'm sure I would be just as happy. bottom line if your upgradinig from something older or slower then what you have your bound to be happy.

Quick Reply: Raptor problems vs. Z400 problems