Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LOOKING FOR A KING QUAD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2000, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to sell my 92 LT250R & get myself a king. so,is there any defects or anything i can check over before i buy? Are they reliable?

Old 04-15-2000, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canada,generally speaking,the KQ is a very releiable 4wd quad.It does many things very well.For casual trail riding,it will hang with the big boys.It will pull just about anything,just as long as you can get the traction.

It has the worst turning radius currently on todays 4x4 market.The stock tires are not good for anything much more than hardpack.Install some aftermarket Vampires or Mudrunners and watch the KQ instantly turn into a mud/snow beast.

I'd have to tell you to watch out for the drum style brakes on the KQ to.They are very poorly sealed from the factory.In serious muddy and wet conditions,the seals leak badly,allowing for the entry of water/debree into the drums,thus contaminating the shoes and drums.A complete disassemble of the drums for cleanin/drying is highly recommended after a good afternoon in the mud.A real pain in the a$$ to,especially the rear brake,which,by the way,is a mechanical [cable] brake[allmost useless wet].Stay out of muddy/wet conditions,and you'll get many miles of use from the brakes.Make sure to take the KQ for a test ride and check them brakes out real good when test riding.It will cost you about 100 dollars for just shoes,front and rear if they are worn,not including labor.

Open up the air box,check for signs of water entry in there.It should be oil free and clean.Inspect the air box sediment tube,it also should be dry.If wet inside,shy away from this KQ,it tells me the guy could of been using this quad for a submarine.

Put the KQ in Diff lock and first gear.Find a tree and put the front of the KQ against it,give the KQ some throttle.ALL 4 wheels should spin equally,listen for clunks at this time.A clunk could indicated driveline problems.

Test ride the KQ,listen for abnormal engine noises,look at the exaust.Does it smoke?Does it Idle ok?Inspeck the oil level window.Is it full of oil and looking clean?Run the KQ thru all the tranny ranges,do they all work?If the tranny selections appear hard to move,thats generally ok.It takes awhile to get used to knowing how to make them go.Check the lower skid plates/shocks for hard dents,it could indicate hard trail riding/jumping,which the KQ is NOT made for.

Except for the brakes in serious mud on the KQ,it is generally a very reliable quad,best of luck on your purchase,=====BILL

Old 04-15-2000, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Old 04-15-2000, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Jensen! Jason Here, Why do you want to sell your LT250R and get a king quad? Are you having problems with it? Are you not liking it as much as you thought you would?

Old 04-15-2000, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Low Gear,thank you for informing me of the rear brake re-design for the 00 KQ.I was not aware of that.Im glad they funtion Ok now.Chuck [ecoreman]and I just got back from riding in the Northern part of our State.We had a super time.His KQ seemed to be doing just fine.=====BILL

Old 04-16-2000, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer
Old 04-16-2000, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

Low Gear,I had a 99 500cc Sportsman also,I can inform you of both quads.The Sportsman is definately a better ride,it has IRS and keeps all 4 wheels on the ground.It is a real tank though,weighing in at 697 lbs.It also performs well in the mud,snow and hills.It is probably the best casual trail riding quad out there today.

In very tight situations,the weight can be a factor,very hard to pick up the back end of this beast up if you get into that situation.

The Xplorer is everything I had hoped it would be so far.It has never run hot,it is liquid cooled.It is an oil injected 2 stroke with a half gallon injection tank.Normal range for the injection tank is around 400 miles before another fill up is needed.There also is a warning light to let you know if your getting low.The Xplorer is very quick for a 4x4 quad.Throttle response is very nice in comparison to the Sportsman.Hills offer no challenge to this beast.Wheel speed is very abundant.Yesterday was the first time I really had it in mud.Ecoreman and I were riding and he was in front of me,we came upon a nasty little swampy mud hole,Ecoreman had got hung up and had to back up and go to the left side of this soupy hole to get around it.I flipped the AWD switch and went thru it like it were not even there.If Ecoreman were equipped with Mudrunners,there is no question that he would of made it to.The rear drive of the Xplorer is Concentric drive,so chain adjustments are very minimal in comparison to normal chain driven quads.The Xplorer weighs 588 lbs,which is 110 lbs lighter than the Sportsman,and the weight lose is very noticable.The Xplorer is more nimble than the Sportsman. All in ALL?I wished I would of bought the Xplorer first.===BILL

Old 04-16-2000, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Jay, well i got my 250r froma guy who sold it when it was time for a fix up job so i'm putting about $200-300 into it eg.bearings,sprockets,brakes,so on,
but that's ok cuz i bought it for $2,100!!!
I,m not as interested in sport quads as in 4x4 quads.& so I have heard plenty good about the king so thats what i'm going for .

Old 04-16-2000, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

My cousins' had a KQ before buying a LT500R...
anyhow, they bought it new, it done everything from mudrunning through the deepest bog pits around to river running to hill and gravel pit clmbing... they had it for 6 years and the only thing they had to do is buy a new pair of tires and put a rear right bearing in. I would highly recommend this quad.

Old 05-18-2000, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Canada, I read all the post, good advice from all. I bought a '99 KQ about 13 months ago, all I can say is is you want to go fast, get a bigger CC quad. However if u ride like me, slow and thru crap that (brush, hills, logs, more brush, mud , etc) the KQ will always keep u smiling. The only thing I don't like about my KQ is the stock tires, and there are plenty of solutions to that. I'm really happy with my KQ. Some people don't think much of gas mileage, but The KQ will run forever and a day on one tank of gas.

Bullet proof, no frills, my kinda machine, I love it.

later tater!

Quick Reply: LOOKING FOR A KING QUAD?