Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT 500 & FMF pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003 | 12:20 PM
|
Range Rover
Default LT 500 & FMF pipe

Hey fellow Zilla owers or FMF pipe owners,

I have both and the FMF pipe leaks at the slip coupling were the Head pipe meets the Silencer. I know that there are aftermarket clamps the fix this leaks and I am need some advice which one will work best.

The FMF pipe also leaks at the connection to the motor, any advice would be helpfull

Thanks
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2003 | 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

When you find a decent clamp at the pipe and silencer splice let me know I am looking for something there. I did not know anything was available there. I put some aluminized exhaust tape around the flange swivel but if you're leaking between the flange and head you might have to put in a new exhaust gasket.

Old 05-03-2003 | 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

Tick, I also have the FMF setup on my zilla and was disappointed in the fit between the two pipes. I fixed the problem by making a new silencer hanger out of 1/8 x 1 1/4 aluminum flat bar. By doing this I got the tailpipe to move foward about one inch and 1/2 inch down, making an excellent fit. I still don't know what every one complains about the FMF pipes for, my 500 is like a completely new bike with it on. Also, does anyone know about the PSI pipes for the 500's? I picked one up today for just 10 bucks, it's rusty and crusty and wondering what it will do. Hope i could help. Karl

Old 05-03-2003 | 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Cascade billet clamp looks pretty nice (they make a p-brake block off too, but it's not a "perfect" fit). I have heard of guys doubling up on the springs to get rid of the engine "drool". My cousin runs a banshee and got so sick of it he welded his pipe to the flange, he's pretty happy with the results.

Old 05-04-2003 | 02:17 AM
|
Range Rover

I was looking at the Cascade Clamp but was not sure which one to get since they don't offer LT500 as a choice. I think I will order the one for the 250r and give it a try.....any thoughts?
Thanks for the help!!

Old 05-04-2003 | 02:30 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I was in there getting my seat recovered and they had the clamps hanging on the wall. They don't offer a whole lot for the zilla but what they do is nice and at a decent price.

Old 05-04-2003 | 05:32 AM
Range Rover

i have that same pipe fmf gold series and a friend cut out a peice of plumbing pipe.. or something that was thick rubber... and it fits tite aroound the header and silencer... just go to ur local homedepot or ace... and bring ur silencer and get 2 clamps for ur ends... as far as the leaks on the heads... go to kragen and get some high temp grease.... then take ur flange off and put it around the flange and put ur pipe on..... let it sit for a day... and no more leaks... any questions just pm or post em

Old 05-05-2003 | 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I use ultra High Temp Silicone at the header end of the pipe... works for a while to seal it up...(Still not a permanent fix) On the stinger end, I used a piece of high temp hose, and two SS hoseclamps... Looks crappy, but it don't leak!

You taking off your LRD??? Wanna sell it?

Old 05-05-2003 | 09:35 PM
|
Range Rover

Yes I have a LRD pipe, yes I want to sell it .................................................. ...........but also I am selling the 1989 LT500 with it. The LRD pipe is bolted to a LRD motor which I want to sell. The TICK is for sale as soon as I get my stock LT500 up to speed. Some parts are being swapped over to the stock Zilla, the stuff for my 325lbs a$$ (shocks and swing arm ). I found a good stock LT500 in Pennsylvania. Only this wrong is the swing arm bolt is stuck. The Ticks came out easy since I replaced the bearings and bolt last year. So if you want the pipe you must buy the Tick!!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP, still trying to remove it. I am soaking it with WD 40 to loosen it up. Maybe I should use Chamagne it works on my wife! HA HA HA[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2003 | 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

I have the FMF with the same mating problem. Did you get the Cascade clamp?

Quick Reply: LT 500 & FMF pipe