Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

anyone race mx with there lt250r?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone race mx with there lt250r?

picking up a pretty much stock 88 Lt250r this weekend, cant afford another honda 250r, so I need to make this one work. Pretty much will be riding/racing on MX, Anyone tell me what shocks, a -arms, you are using, I also have heard that the frames are pretty weak, could you tell me where to place gussets to hopefully take care of those weak areas. I already purchased a boysen rad valve, and full fmf exaust. any help/ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

a person you should try to get a hold of is lt250r91. He used to race X-country with his and he could pry tell you where all the weak spots are and what setup works well. Weak spots that I know of is the frame tubing cracking under the footpegs and I think the top shock mounts (that one might be only on the 85-86 LTs though)

Places that have chassis mods/parts for the LT:
HSD Racing - Has and does a lot of things for the LTs chassis.
Lonestar Racing - Has A-arms, swingarms, steering stems and some other stuff for the LT.
Laegers Inc. - Has swingarms for the LT although they aren't shown on the website, they can be gotten at Nacs Racing
For shocks try:
Works Performance
Elka Suspension
Ohlins

Hope this helps
later
Superstar

Old 05-14-2003, 03:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have been currently moto-xing a 92 lt 250 for the past 2 years. The first one was a learing experiance and basicly with a stock bike. Out of the handful of races have consistantly placed in the top 7 out of an average of 20 - 30 bikes. 2nd year was not as promising with some motor problems, mainly because of shop not doing correctly, but when these didn't happen moved up to running in the top 5, but never got that 1st place finish in both moto's. Not getting the holeshots, but always coming up close I decided on spending the money this year to do so. I got hooked up with Janssen Racing and had them pretty much replace everything on the bike but the plastic and the seat. I just got my bike back last week after being worked on for the past 4 months and was not dissapointed! I do not have my suspension dialed in yet, but pleased and surprised by the overall performance. Not being the most mechanically inclined, it was nice to have 1 shop do the complete work and help me with all my needs and questions. I just brought it back in yesterday to have some fine tuning done and will be going to the first race of the year Saturday. With doing as well as I did in 2 half seasons, expectations are high and looking at a shot on winning the points if I ride smart. As for the claim with frame problems, I have never came across any cracks or problems considering all the end over end crashes while practicing. I am not the most knowledgeable on mechanical side of things, but more than happy to help you with the basics or of what I do now. My main priority is to just ride the bike and let my shop take care of the rest. Had the option on buying several honda 250's alread built, but wanted to be different and stand out in the crowd with something different and to oversee something built from scratch.

Old 05-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, i know that my Dodge Caravan could beat your lt250r in anyrace.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

DodgeCara270r I think my SHO will smoke you buddy.

Old 05-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help, I just didnt know what works the best with the LT's, I have heard around on the msg boards that there was weak spots in the frame but havent heard exactly where they are. I used to race the honda 3 years ago but had to sell for family reasons and just want to get back in the sport. Keep the info coming. Thanks

Old 05-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

The main problems with the LT frame was cracks by the rear shot mount, front shock mounts, and on a few areas on the front end. www.quadracer.com had some pictures of a frame with gussets to fix this problem. Bring these pictures to a good welder and you will never have to worry about your frame. The main diff. you will see between your TRX and the LT is the handeling. The LT motor is more then capable of racing the TRX250R. The LT actually has a slightly more powerful motor in stock form. You don't see many LT250R's at the track, mainly because if you are going to drop big money in aftermarket pipes, shocks, extended a-arms, and motor work, you might as well stend the extra $1000 and find a TRX 250R. Nobody who has any clue will tell you that the LT250R is a better bike then the TRX250R. The Lt is a great bike and will keep up with any any of the current quads on the market on the trail, but for upgrades the TRX is still the racing king. At least for 2-strokes, but thats a whole other debate. Don't take this as you can't race with a LT, because you can, you just will have to work alot harder then the other guys to get around the track. If you do get out there and win a race or two, let us know...always like to see the Honda guys getting beat.