Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Pictures of Changing ATV Front Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of Changing ATV Front Bearings

I took pictures of changing the front wheel bearings on my 2002 4WD Susuki Eiger, thought I would share them, it makes it easier for me and my short memory the next time I do them.

Click Here

Old 10-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you get the bolt loose? I'm trying to change a bearing on one of my tires and I cant get the damn bolt loose. Maybe it accumulated rust and it's rusted stuck or something. I have no idea. It's an '04 Yamaha Bruin 350.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

You mean the big one in the middle of the hub, leave the disc brake caliper on and have some one pull the brake lever on. If you have an impact gun it would work also, I think it was a 1 1/4 socket, once you move it a bit it should turn really easy....hope this helps

Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

I've got a crappy Yamaha so it's all metric and we don't have any sockets big enough. Also, the brakes don't work on the left side tire and that's the one we're working on. haha We can't even get it budged though. We put a wrench on it and put a 3 foot pipe on the wrench for more leverage and still couldn't get it to move. My dad and I will probably give in and let a mechanic work on it.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, it must really be rusted or seized, try spraying the heck out of it with penetrating fluid, and let it sit a while, impact gun is your best bet. Its a shame to bring it in, its pretty easy after that.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I know! haha We've changed bearings before. It's never a big deal. I guess I'll just have to ask some of my friends if they have some bigger sized metric sockets I could borrow. Well anyways, thanks for the help!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your welcome, maybe one of your friends has an electric impact drill/gun. I hate bringing them in as they the parts are expensive enough, good luck.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

FINALLY! I went down to my grandpa's and found a 24mm end wrench and put that on there with an even longer pipe and a pipe wrench on the other side and I just tugged on it. It finally came undone!

Now I need to get the bearings out somehow. I'll probably take a closer look after supper.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

Do you think you could give me a little guidance on getting the bearings out? It looks like there is a little bit of rubber on the outside of the bearings which is keeping me from knocking the bearings out.

I was looking at this pic you took and I was wondering if that is an actual bearing or a rubber bearing or something on the outside?

http://good-times.webshots.com...740970067971225gwHgiE

Mine looks somewhat similar, but the outside is definitely rubber and I can't get the rubber budged or any of the bearings. This is a heck of a lot harder than I thought it'd be! ha

Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats actually the seal, there is a rubber seal you have to take out before getting at the bearing, stick a large screwdriver in underneath the seal and pry the seal out. Does your hub have 2 bearings or one?

My Artic Cat has one, you have to remove the seal and then a locking spring and then try to pry or bang the bearing out, if the bearing has seen water it makes it really hard to get the inner bearing ring out, some use heat, soak it in penetrating fluid overnight and usually comes off the next day. One of my pictures shows the new seals on a table.

Try not to damage the hub if your doing any pounding (try to hit the bearing and not the hub), my Artic Cat is hard compared to the 2 bearing Susuki. Let me know how your doing.

Quick Reply: Pictures of Changing ATV Front Bearings