Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Need assistance locating problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need assistance locating problem

With my ECM's the first one would shut the engine off when I turned on my headlights.......This was the solid state circuit breakers internal that was faulty.

With the second one ......My cooling fan was running all the time killing the battery even with the key out of the quad....This also was the ECM

As with yours I know it will not control all the stuff like on the larger quads.
As with the wireing your telling me , I not too sure what should be a short or not !!

Did you say you have the Schematics for this Quad?
.......Caper...........

Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No rust on any wire. I can't find a dealer for parts either. Help.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I have schematics. That's my problem. I can trace everything, however, I don't know if the part I am tracing to works. Your direction is encouraging. Please continue to shine some light my way.

If you think my ECM is good (not the start up problem) I will re-attach it now.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 PM

I don't really know what else to tell you.
It could be the ECM,coil,Or even the stator windings.
coil would be the cheapest thing to try first ,but like I said........not too sure now why no spark.

Was this quad sitting outside for any long period of time that you know of?
.......Caper.............

Old 12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

ECM reattached.

No surface rust so I would say it was not in the rain but could have been covered by a tarp outside.

So I guess it's time to find a coil for this ATAKK 200. I looked on the internet without success. Will any 200cc engine coil work. I there any way to by pass the coil to see if I can get spark?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:10 PM

You can check the coil wire(cable) going from the coil to the spark plug cap.........Sometimes they get corrosion built up inside them also........They may thread out counter-clockwise if they don't have a factory seal on them!!.......Caper............

Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

My friend, I have concluded, with your advise that the coil is bad. I checked the DC volts at points before and after the coil while turning over the engine. I am getting the same voltage and ohms reading. therefore, I feel the coil is not stepping up the juice to spark the plug. I will let you know the result after I find someone who carries this coil.

I am bushed. Thank you for your advise and support. Happy new year.
JOHN

Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey,
ATV stores all around town have been closed and may open up Thursday this week. Nevertheless, I have a question about how this 200cc ATV works. I understand the 12vdc comes from the battery then goes inside the motor, I'm guessing to the magneto. Then it goes I guess to the coil. If my thoughts are incorrect about the coil, could the magneto be bad?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need assistance locating problem"></title><script src=

Hey Guys, Here's wishing you all a nice day,
I've just read your post about you not being able to get your ATV started. ''

I've just bought a "Hi Bird AtV " and it has always been hard to start but now I can not get it to start without "grinding" the starter a lot and at times killing the battery. Even if I get it started - - - it will "die" after a short time of running. [ For the most part - - I can't get the ATV to start.

When I hold the plug against the engine - - - I get NO SPARK. This ATV is brand new. It is a "Hi-Bird 250 cc. Can anyone help me as to what to check out? I have tried to follow the electrical diagram and it is very hard to do because I don't know what the different parts look like. I work on my own cars but this "motorcycle engine" is different in many ways. I have all the tools needed and know how to take a car apart and put it back together but I'm stumped on this machine.

Any help is greatly appreciated, caveman [Norman]

Old 08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need assistance locating problem"></title><script src=

Caveman,
When i occurred electrical issues, most certainly is't ECM related. I replaced my ECM ($25) and all is well. It could also be your points/charger. These models use the coil-points to also charge the battery. It's inside the crank case and sealed from the weather. Good luck

Semper Fi

Quick Reply: Need assistance locating problem