Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Need assistance locating problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need assistance locating problem

ATAKK 200cc has gas and new battery. Cranks and lights work. It will not START. I beleive it is electrical. Any ideas where to look first?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting spark at the plug?
check all your safety switches and engine stop switch ....These will prevent the quad from getting spark!!
Also some need the brake lever pulled in first for a safety issue before the quad will start also.............................My daughter 150cc has this feature on it........

Does this one have a remote kill switch?.......Caper............

Old 12-31-2007, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

caperinmuskoka
Thank you for your reply. I will check the spark plug next. I will also try the e-brake engagement prior to starting it. As for the safety switches, where should I look for them? Nothing is in sight. Thanks for your commentary, I'm handy with tools and never owned and worked on an ATV. I look forward to getting this running soon for my boys.

My Kids Dad,
JOHN

Old 12-31-2007, 12:15 AM

To check for spark take the plug out and plug back in the cap then set the plug against any part of the motor(steel) to ground........then pull the starter rope over to see if there is spark on the tip of the plug.

Remember not to touch the plug when doing this ,you will only touch it once!!!

If there is no spark then I would say it is in the circuit somewhere
Did you just buy this quad?
New or used?
Have you had it running yet?
There should be a RED engine OFF switch on the handlebars if this is faulty then there will be "NO" spark to the plug also!!.........Make sure it is in the center position left or right will kill the spark
........Caper..........

Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I did as you suggested and NO spark from the plug. My engine switch is black and it is in the center. The neutral light comes on and so does the fan. The stater works and gas is flowing. Now that we confirmed there is no spark... how do I chech the electrical component up from that point?
I bought this used and cheap. It wasn't working when I bought it. I really would appreciate all your experise on this.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:17 AM

Do you have a key switch that turn the quad on/off also?
If so you should check the contacts there too!!!(also contacts on your black engine sw.)
See how many wires are comming off the key switch and if you have a multi-meter set the dial to OHMS and try pairs of wires to see if there is connection between any two with the key in the on position........Before we go and tear into costly electrical coils,stator,and control modules........................................... .........................Lets see if it is something very simple first!!

I myself think if there is no spark, It may be a coil or something in the engine kill switch circuit preventing the spark getting to the plug

How does the spark plug cap look ??
loose or damaged?.............caper...........

Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 AM

You could also try a new plug first!!.....Caper..........

Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Plug and cap look fine. However, to take items out of the puzzle I am leaving now to get a new plug. (15min drive). How do you test a coil other than replacing it? I have the electrical schematic for this ATV. I was tracing some wires and well ... what about the ignition box. It has one of the two wires coming from the coil going into it. The other wire coming from the coil is a ground.

I'm with you, better off going the least expensive route first. I will check the switch (black one) when I return from getting a new plug.

Also I don't see a horn button on this ATV. However, there is a control box that looks like a buzzard and a modulator in the front under the handle bar that is over the head light. Any idea what this is?

:-) JOHN

Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM

Well..................That may be a back-up buzzer............One of my buddies 200cc kids quad has a back-up beeper on it.............LOL......Go figure.............Caper........

To test the coil it should has a very high resistance reading....Some meters only go to 1000 ohms so it may not pick it up in the reading.......

The coil is just a very long thin strand og copper wire that is insulated from each other when wrapped!!

I not sure what your coil readings should be for that Quad!!.........As for the ignition box .I had two ECM fail on my Sp 450(2006) and both times I had to swap the one from my wife's (same quad) to check.........................The dealer even told me over the phone to do this and rule it out!!

So I really don't think there is any easy way to check the ECM or ign.box othere than connections and wires that may look green or rusted and not making good connectiom!1

Also check that ground wire off the coil.........MAKE SURE THE CONNECTION POINT IS CLEAN where it bolts/screws to the frame!!............Caper............

Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good insight with the buzzard. Yes I have a reverse button and that must be the buzzer for it.

The ACE hardware store up the road had the correct plug for my ATV. Still NO spark.

You said, "As for the ignition box .I had two ECM fail on my Sp 450(2006) and both times I had to swap the one from my wife's (same quad) to check.........................The dealer even told me over the phone to do this and rule it out!!" So, was your symptoms the same as mine? What did the ECM cost you?

My coil has three wires on it. One wire (Cable) goes to the plug. The second wire is B/Y and goes to the ECM and the third wire, Green, goes up to the key switch. The reading across the B/Y and green is a short. The reading from the green to ground (Cylinder head) is short and the same reading for the B/Y.

I am taking a part the kill switch now. Other than that......????????

Quick Reply: Need assistance locating problem