Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

ATTN:SMART PEOPLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN:SMART PEOPLE

Here's the deal i put my 4wheeler in the drink about 6 months ago took it home drained the oil several times ect.. Tried to get it to start but no luck. Cleaned the carb about 4 times now and it's free of gunk also all the lines. I got tired of messing with it and lack of time so it sat for a bit. i'm back at it again re-cleaned the carb drained the gas and put new gas. it has a good spark and is getting fuel. it will turn over and make a sputting noise like it wants to start and every now and then it will just back fire. i'm not to sure what exactly the CDI does besides provide spark could it be a bad CDI or is there away i could have knocked it off timing. i've tried adjusting the fuel air mixture screw several time. the plug is wet so i know it's getting fuel. i'm at a loss anyone have any idea's. i've even tried to starting with starting fluid.

it's an 06 yamaha wolverine 450

Old 02-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

I would swap out the cdi if it is a returnable item. My guess is the CDI assuming you have checked over the basics.

I have had a quad not start with starter fluid once just cause the pilot jet was stuck open and flooded it horribly.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

maybe i need a new jet kit for it. as for the CDI like i said i really know little about it. i know i'm getting good spark though

Old 03-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

If you have good spark then maybe its not the CDI......I would do a compression check........they sell kits pretty cheap at advance auto

Old 03-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

so i'm running out of idea's today i put a compression test on it and it was at 150psi which is good and then i checked all the jets ect on the carb. it's still getting good spark and has good gas. and i know its getting fuel down to the plug cause it will back fire out the exhaust and the carb. i'm wondering if this might be do to both of the valves floating. any one know if the CDI box might possibly still provide spark just at the wrong time if it's messed up.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

The compression check should of showed the valves are closing, however it could be out of time. Also check to make sure all the hoses on the carb. are clear of obstructions if you hadn't already.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

ok my .02. 2 more to look into. 1. airflow into the cylinder: oxygen (or "air" as we call it) makes up the 3 elements of the fire triangle: heat, fuel, oxygen. you are getting fuel, heat (spark) so that leaves oxygen of why its possibly not running. engines run on this principle too as it involves explosion in the cylinder. we had a jonh deere non diesel lawn tractor that did this recently. could be something still jacked in the carb or with the valves. thats the way air gets in the cylinder.

2. electrical: the main on/ off switch. sounds really overly simple to be this, but if you took a dive in a drink then this could be jacked. i had a machine and cranked on it all day - getting spark, fuel, would not run. i didnt know what was wrong, but i suspected on this one it was electrical somewhere so i ordered every electrical component for it i could including a new wiring harness. I hate to have to keep going back for parts so i get everything i can/suspect and keep it for spares... turns out the switch assembly was bad where the run switch is. i replaced it and it started right up.

suprised to see a yamaha is doing this; i have seen them be more resistant to water problems than other bikes we have had.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

the main off switch seems to be working fine when you place it in the off position it wont even turn over. i'm starting to wonder if the CDI is making spark but it is letting it off at the wrong time almost like an intermitten spark. anyone have a CDI box that would still spark but it was still bad and do yo uknow of a way to test it. i'm really pulling out my hair here. as far as the 3 elements of the fire triangle i seem to be getting them because other wise it wouldn't be back fireing out the exhaust and the carb. thats why i'm just confused cause i've already done everything that you would think would be wrong as far as cleaning drying and testing.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

anyone shear off a woodruff key? and is it hard to replace

Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

ok i guess not

Quick Reply: ATTN:SMART PEOPLE