Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Dumb question on gas cans!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question on gas cans!

I have allways used the typical plastic gas cans like you would by at wally world and I usualy only fill them 3/4 full as the altitude here in CO will make the gas come out the spout. What I want to know is if anbody has a better solution to a can that won't balloon and tip over like the cheep ones do without having to expensive metal cans?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

none that i know of

Old 06-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

I fill my plastic to the brim and never have a problem. I use the ventless ones like you can buy at gandermountain. I am at about 1000 ft above sea leval though.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Problem solved.
If I know my plastic gas cans are going to expand, like putting them in a car in summer, I set the can against my truck tire and use my foot to cave in the side, then put the cap on. When it expands it goes back to normal size and shape. If I carry it on the ATV I just squeeze it a little, and then I "burp" it every time I stop for a break. I put 5 gallons in a 5 gallon can, and 2-1/2 in a 2-1/2, without any trouble at all.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

ya... just get the ones at like hardware stores and stuff that are ventles... they actually breathe through the spout some way... not sure how... but they do not expand

Old 06-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rgasper33

ya... just get the ones at like hardware stores and stuff that are ventles... they actually breathe through the spout some way... not sure how... but they do not expand</end quote></div>

I bought one of those since I store the gas can for the mower in a shed that gets well above 100º in the summer. They still expand. Not as bad, and when you pull the top, it will spray if it's too full.

D57, depending on which quad your putting the can on, a six pac rack will work with a smaller can.

This is just an example, don't have one so I can't endorse or condone this brand. They just had a good picture.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "ventless" cans aren't really ventless, they just don't have a SEPARATE vent. And Scooter is right they still swell up, if the cap is all the way on, and you can't ride without the cap on tight. You need to squeeze some air out of them first.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Buy a military (NATO) plastic gas can on line. No vent but seals perfectly and takes one heck on a beating. Runs about $15 and needs a special spout for $15. You'll never need another.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

Jumbo Frank is right. There is nothing out there that will keep the pressure from building at altitude, the only other thing is to let a little air out every now and then.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Thanks to all the replies I will give some of them a shot but i was also wondering if anyone has tried the cans the racer use that sit upright?

Quick Reply: Dumb question on gas cans!