Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

I just bought a 2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450 and wanted to change the oil before I used it. What type of oil should I use?

Thanks
Aaron

Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil

Use whatever it says in the manual. You can save a few bucks using cheaper oil but in the long run it may cost a lot more. Like an engine.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

For a low compression and low RPM motor like in the Kodiak you can use any oil that is either A) "ATV Specific", or B) does not have friction modifiers added to it. The words ATV Specific are supposed to mean that the oil is safe to use in an ATV with a wet (oil bathed) clutch. So if it says ATV Specific or Motorcycle Specific you can use it. Unfortunately the words ATV Specific on the bottle usually also means the oil is twice the price of automotive oil. Being as that is the case, you can use any automotive oil that does not have friction modifiers in it. The friction modifiers will make the oil too slippery and the wet clutch can slip.

For higher performance ATV engines like in the YFZ 450R, the KTM ATVs, and Can Am ATVs I would recommend a double ester full synthetic oil (without friction modifiers). I use Motul 5w40 in the Can Am, and Motorex 5w50 in the KTM. KTM actually says in my bikes owners manual that they will void the warranty if something other than Motorex 5w50 oil is used. I also use Motul 5w40 in the Grizzly, but just because it is easier than buying separate less expensive oil for one ATV. An ATV only uses a quart or two, its not like you're changing the oil in a diesel truck.

DV