Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Warn Winch Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn Winch Question

I just purchased a used Outlander with a factory installed 2.5ci. The seller told me that it had a bad rocker switch that I replaced. Not when I move the switch either in or out all I hear is a clicking noise and a slight whine. Any hints?

Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like a sylanoid in the winch motor. warn dose have rebuild kits for there winches. or you could take it to an electrical shop

Old 11-22-2008, 03:50 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was just the solenoid the motor wouldn't whine. But it's a seperate part from the winch so it's not a major expense if that's the problem. More likely there's a loose wire or something else is bad like the motor.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

It will not freespool either, I have disengaged the clutch and it will not spool out the cable.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

mine wont freespool sometimes, i just wash it off well and hit it with some pb blaster. but thats probly not your problem though...sounds like a motor clutch might be out

Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took it off today, unwound all the cable and l cleaned it and reconnected the power to it and it still does nothing?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took it off today, unwound all the cable and l cleaned it and reconnected the power to it and it still does nothing?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure what make of winch you have but only two things come to mind.

1) your selenoid is bad. it will click but will not tranfer juice to the winch motor and the selinoid will click and make a buzzing noise. Sometimes it can be fixed by cleaning all the connections but if it is a Warn winch then they had a recall a while back on their selinoids.

2) If the drum on the winch tries to move but won't then you could have some built up gunk on the motor windings that are binding the motor up and keeping it from moving. I have had to take my warn winch and Golriila winch for a friend a part and clean their windings and regrease the drive gears. Seems dust, mud and water can get in there even though I think they are supposed to be sealed.

Both are a relatively easy fix. I wouldl start by cleaning the connections as well as inside the motor case. I might even jump a hot wire from a battery directly to the motor to see if it spins. I have two machines with winches so when one quits working I take the good one off and swap it with the one that does not work to rule out the winch motor. Last time I bought a selinoid it was $50 I think.

SJ

Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, It is a Warn 2.5ci

I took it off and tried a direct battery connection and still no go. The spool even in the free spool mode would not budge. I checked all my electrical connections and they are good, I guess it is no breaking down the motor.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

There should be 2-10mm bolts on the end of the motor where the power cables attach. If you remove these then carefully remove that end cap, you will probably find the spring loaded brushes are corroded as well. On my Warn 2.5 winch the aluminum corrodes and oxidizes. This white oxidation jams the motor up. I clean mine off with a wire brush and then lube the bushings that I can find and reassemble it.

Heads up though it is tricky to put the cap back on because of the spring loaded brushes. You have to use a small screwdriver or piece of wide to push each in as you slip the cap on. Also if the motor is tatered you cannot hurt it by taking it apart and seeing if you can fix it.

SJ