Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Please help!! 2002 polaris sportsman 400 awd problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks. I'll try to figure it out tonight and ill let you know
Thanks Harley

Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Harley165
The speedo stopped working for about 1hr one day but it started working again just fine? Could that be the problem?
There is a difference if the speedo quits or just the "Hall Effect" wheel sensor that sends a signal to the speedo. If the wheel sensor quits the awd still works but the speedo's hour meter will be the only thing on the speedo that works.

If the speedo quits you just have nothing or awd.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok the speedo works just fine but thanks

Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

So my dad toqued the bolts to 12 pounds. Checked all the wiring again to the awd switch and to the hubs and there's power everywhere there. Were pretty sure it's not electrical becuase the armature plates stick to the hubs when you turn the awd switch on.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you jacked the atv up and check out the awd? This system is not a "full time" awd drive,but only kicks on when the rear tires slip in "real world" conditions. With no load at least one of the tires should turn if all is correct and the plates are pulling to the coil,torque is correct,etc. If both don't turn then you either have an electrical problem or installation problem on both sides on the roll cages,armature plates, hub torque...Plus it's rare,but hubs can be a problem,but not both of them at the same time..

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

So should I jack the entire quad off the ground to check this? We have tried just jacking the back end of the quad to see if the front tires will pull it but they don't.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

So I jacked the entire quad off the ground. The right front tire will spin while in AWD but I can stop it with my hand, and the left front tire doesn't spin at all?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok then,you know now which wheel is the worst,but sounds like you need to go back through both! Just retrace your steps on electrical connections on down to the coil and hub sleeve and make sure the outer hub sleeve is even with the inner pole of the strut(where the coil slips on) and NO damage to either one.These two places are where the armature plate contacts.If the sleeve or inner pole has any wear or too much gap you can have intermittent or no awd!!! Just use a straight edge on the sleeve and inner pole to see if they are flush with each other(either flush or max .001 clearance with a feeler gauge). Make sure the armature plate isn't damaged and that it will pull away from your hand(held about an 1/8 to 1/4" from the outer sleeve) when the awd switch is turned on and hard to remove until the switch is turned off.Check the inside of the hubs for any scoring/wear marks that would interfere with engagement. Then replace the hubs on the struts if everything is ok,torque hub nut to 15 pounds to preload the bearings,back off 1/2 turn,then torque to final 12 foot pounds.Use only Polaris Demand Drive awd fluid..Keep us updated..

Old 07-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks I will try that

Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

So we adjusted the hub sleeve and its now flush with the inner pole. Now one front wheel works in AWD but it spins even when your turn the AWD switch off.. And the other wheel still dosent work..

Quick Reply: Please help!! 2002 polaris sportsman 400 awd problem