Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Please help!! 2002 polaris sportsman 400 awd problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!! 2002 polaris sportsman 400 awd problem

I just bought a 2002 polaris sportsman 400 and the AWD dosent work. I have checked the electrical going to the front hubs. It's all good there. The speedo works. I replaced the Hillard clutches. Still dosent work. Please help!

Old 07-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you replaced the armature plates and roll cages and have power,but still don't have awd,could be a simple ground problem. Here's a video on what some people are doing. It's at least worth a shot to try this first.If this doesn't work,then you can jump the brown/white wire in the speedo harness to a good ground(brown) wire. The awd goes through the speedo. Plus make sure you torque the hub nuts to 12 foot pounds only and use Polaris Demand Drive hub fluid.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy

Thank you for the reply. I've grounded the wires and put the right amount of fluid in the hubs. I've tried everything and still nothing.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then possible that the speedo needs replacement "IF" all other areas check out. The hub nut torque is at 12 pounds,both hilliards and armature plates installed correctly, gear position indicator is showing correct gear range,the awd light comes on in forward gear,shows power to both hub power wires and you've tried to redirect grounding at the awd connections under the front panel and also at the speedo harness.Only other area I can think of is jumping the ground wires at the awd switch itself.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for you help I will try to figure it out!
Thanks Harley

Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You did say the speedo works. But if it did not one day.
You can do 2 things

1. Replace the Speedometer ($300)
2. Remove the 6 pin plug from your speedometer
On the plug, short the brown/Brown White wires together and
tape it up good.
Do not reconnect the plug.
You will lose the function of the speedometer but your AWD will work.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

The speedo stopped working for about 1hr one day but it started working again just fine? Could that be the problem?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Harley165
The speedo stopped working for about 1hr one day but it started working again just fine? Could that be the problem?
That might be part of the problem, check all your connections, and for the heck of it give everything a good whack and see what happens.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well we checked and there's electrical current going to the hubs. I'm thinking its something inside of the hubs?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Make sure the armature plates and hilliards are installed right and the hubs are torqued to 12 foot pounds only! If this checks out and you still show power to the hot (gray) wires on each side,it still probably a grounding issue either from the the brown wires at the hubs or at the speedo itself. This started out to be a problem area after the awd connection started going through the speedo which was a stupid idea. At the shop we replaced speedo heads because we had to,but there are other options that's been posted on "restoring" a good ground circuit,from the jumping of all ground wires to a common ground in the video or from the speedo itself. Keep us updated,hopefully its just something simple..

Quick Reply: Please help!! 2002 polaris sportsman 400 awd problem