Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Tow Strap Plow Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Strap Plow Set Up

Kawasaki 750 Brute Force
Warn AT 25 Winch
Synthetic Line

Hello

I am getting ready for the snow and trying to figure out how to use a 2" Tow Strap as many folks on here have used with great success. I'm sure I can get it on my drum but problem is the small plastic fairlead attached to the plow is only wide enough to accommodate small rope. I just replaced the stock roller fairlead with the larger "plow fairlead" so I guess I could affix the old stock fairlead to the plow to replace the small plastic fairlead? How have you guys been getting the 2" strap through the fairlead on the plow (I realize not everyone will have an extra fairlead there...)???
If I go with a 1.5" strap I might be able to squeeze it through the small fairlead but would that be bad to do (kinda thinkin it would...)

Last year I used the warn 50' line and it broke numerous times. Currently I have a new Amsteel 1/4 line x 10' so that should avoid the problem of burying the line. I kinda just know this line will part so want to be ready with the tow strap solution. Please help

Thanx!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I'll be the first to answer to my question. So I discovered the fairlead I'm takin about is only on Warn Plows and most plows simply have the rope and hook attach to the plow. Warn said if I don't use that rope guide I could raise the plow too much causing a lot of damage. Is that likely or common? If so how can I prevent raising the plow too much? Thanks.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep. You can cause damage if you raise it too far. Mostly cable or rope snapping. It's just that you're pulling a frame up against another frame with a winch that's pulling at 1500-3000 lbs. of force. I just kind of went by ear when I heard a little strain on the motor and would let go of the winch switch. This led to 2 breaks in the cable. I got the Warn synthetic rope with the larger roller and that helped. The best thing I did was put on a magnetic switch that shuts the winch off when the plow is raised to a certain height. It came with my Can-Am plow setup. I mounted the kit's magnet on the plow frame and the magnetic trip switch on the quad where the magnet would make contact. Once it reaches a certain height it shuts off the winch. Made the last month and a half of plowing snow that much easier. My guess is that someone else must make a switch like this other than Can-Am.