Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

rectifier brands

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rectifier brands

my rectifier was giving me problems last yr so I bought one from china on ebay.Now it seems like Iam having the same problem with dead battery.If I unplug the rectifier the battery is good for a while as long as i dont ride much cause its only drawing spark from battery.My question is,are those chinese parts any good or could it be another problem like an inside stator not charging?

Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

First off don't unplug a rectifier while it's running.. Plus what's the voltage at the battery while it's running? Should be around 14-14.5 volts in most cases. Also if it's an older battery or sometimes even a new battery can have a dead cell. Have it load tested to remove all doubt it may be just the battery itself.Plus always have a battery on a tender.This can give you a few extra years of service from most batteries.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Always got rectifier unplugged cause it kills my battery overnight!Unplugged it lasts until running motor kills it using it for spark! new battery,machine killed last one due to steady running it down..how do you test battery.Multimeter on dcv? leads on + and -? still hooked to bike?What do you think of these rectifiers,http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=...lator&_sacat=0 ? thanks

Old 10-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just have the meter set on dc voltage, leads on + and - of battery while it's running and see what voltage is showing. If the regulator is charging ok the voltage should be at least around 14 volts or more. A far as Chinese parts,seems most every thing now is either Chinese, Taiwan or from Mexico. Take your pick.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

did a voltage test on battery while running..12.26 volts.did a load test and the tester its says good,just up past the 12 v mark?What do you guys think?

Old 10-17-2015, 07:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Get another regulator. Charging voltage should show more than battery voltage.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Not charging

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Get another regulator. Charging voltage should show more than battery voltage.
Is there anyway to just test stator to see if it's the problem?

Old 10-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep you can check the stator,but need to have the manual for whatever model you have for the stator charging specs.. Another way to test is to check the resistance between the yellow wires coming from the stator to the regulator. There should be some small resistance reading between each other and NO short to ground on any individual yellow stator wire.If this checks out ok then usually it's the regulator.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks and this might sound stupid but how do I do that?what setting on meter? thanks

Old 10-18-2015, 05:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is one common brand of replacement regulator, something like Caltrek, that doesn't hold up. The one I had on my street bike melted down on an Alaska trip which caused some delays. I replaced it with the stock Honda version which has lasted for years.

Quick Reply: rectifier brands