Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What do you think about a horse trailer for quads???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about a horse trailer for quads???

Well one day..when I can afford it I'll be getting a new trailer..and I was debating on just a regular double axel flat bed or a horsetrailer..I need to be able to fit 3 -5 quads. the reason I bring the horse trailer up is that a woman that I work with owns horses and I saw her horse trailer once..it was a fifth wheel..but inside it looked plenty big enough for 5 quads side by side plus it had a living quarter..which was pretty nice...I like the idea of an enclosed trailer...just for those fourwheelin trips were you stay for numerous days..I would like my quad inside and locked up rather than just chilling on a flat bed trailer all night were anyone can get to it..what do you think??? good idea bad idea???

Old 03-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Couple things on horse trailers, the one I have is a three horse slant load and it is not wide enough for quads loaded side by side, the body of the trailer fits inside of the fender wells so the horses do not hurt themselves on the wheel wells. Also there is no ability to drive out the front of the trailer like snowmobile or atv trailers,
Just my random thoughts from a scattered mind

Old 03-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm...good point...all I know is that I'm on to something in my head...I know you can get box trailers...but man they are so expensive...there has to be some kind of live stock trailer big enough for quads side by side..I figure that would be perfect though if there would be one big enough for 3 to 5 quads and then have a sleeping quarters for it..its like the perfect idea...but I never thought of the fender wells on the outside..that would eat about 2 foot ruffly..ohwell..I don't have the money for a new trailer anyways..but one of these days!

Old 03-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Horse trailers might cost more than a box trailer. You could always take some of the walls out of a horse trailer. It's besides the point but we used to haul our horses with a cattle truck. (and a horse trailer) I've seen people use their boat trailers to haul quads. They make it so it will work with both a boat or as a flat bed. It wouldn't be enclosed though.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

I had this same idea, but the ones I looked at had double doors in the back and left a giant post in the middle. it could be fixed. Also they weighed a ton.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

We have 4 atv's and a 6 x 16 stock trailer. Only 3 fit in the trailer and the other one in back of the pickup. Room in trailer for tools, ice chest, gas cans. Hung tarp across the solid front of the trailer for port-a-potty privacy. We just bought a Pakrat. It's 22 feet long, has a small camper in front and 8' x 14' flat deck behind the camper. Holds four atv's (2 side by side). Looked at enclosed toyboxes but wasn't sure we wanted muddy bikes and fuel in the living area. Ours has a "patio room" tent that covers part of the trailer to expand the living area after you unload the atvs. Camper has toilet, shower, frig, heater, ac, sink and stove. Plus you can get one of these new with extended warranty for about $11k. I figure if you're gonna ride your atv through the mud and water, why haul it in an enclosed trailer? Worried about thieves?-buy a chain and padlock. Plus, less money for the trailer, more money for ridin'! Check out link for pics & specs.

http://www.thorca.com/thorhome/home.htm

Old 09-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: RaiderV
We have 4 atv's and a 6 x 16 stock trailer. Only 3 fit in the trailer and the other one in back of the pickup. Room in trailer for tools, ice chest, gas cans. Hung tarp across the solid front of the trailer for port-a-potty privacy. We just bought a Pakrat. It's 22 feet long, has a small camper in front and 8' x 14' flat deck behind the camper. Holds four atv's (2 side by side). Looked at enclosed toyboxes but wasn't sure we wanted muddy bikes and fuel in the living area. Ours has a "patio room" tent that covers part of the trailer to expand the living area after you unload the atvs. Camper has toilet, shower, frig, heater, ac, sink and stove. Plus you can get one of these new with extended warranty for about $11k. I figure if you're gonna ride your atv through the mud and water, why haul it in an enclosed trailer? Worried about thieves?-buy a chain and padlock. Plus, less money for the trailer, more money for ridin'! Check out link for pics & specs.

They stopped making those Pak-Rat trailers a year ago. They only sold 100 of them nationwide. We saw one for sale over labor day weekend. The guy had only used it a few times, and he wanted $8000.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
see how you are!

Originally posted by: Bing
Originally posted by: RaiderV

They stopped making those Pak-Rat trailers a year ago. They only sold 100 of them nationwide. We saw one for sale over labor day weekend. The guy had only used it a few times, and he wanted $8000.
I'm not too impressed with the Thor products anyway... I ordered a 33' Toybox fifth wheel in 2002 from the factory. The first trip I took with it, I knew it was a mistake. I got rid of it for various reasons, but the primary reason is overall workmanship. I didn't think it would last very long. I traded it in on a motorhome and bought an aluminum flat bed trailer.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at living quarter horse trailers and they are nice but way too expensive for me. I even saw some that are extra wide with no wheel wells inside. Looked like quads would fit side by side. You can get them with drop down ramp rear door with no center post.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Well unless your talkin about lil raptor 80's or sompin you aint gonna fit em side by side. however in our lil stock trailer you can fit two warriors end to end or you can fit three if you stad em up and turn em sidways. Can prolly piggy back 3 in there too. But i have horses and since i already have the trailers for them may as well haul my iron (well aluminum anymore) horses in there too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: What do you think about a horse trailer for quads???