Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you tow with a car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you tow with a car?

If you get a small trailer you will be fine.

Your brakes will be fine as well as long as you take it easy.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer

Be sure to load the quad all the way to the front of the trailer. You need some tongue weight. If you don't have enough tongue weight, the trailer will whip back and forth on you. It's not a good situation.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

Take a look at this. www.bdiracks.com

Old 04-05-2004, 02:14 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

I tow all 4 of my ATV's behind a 91 Caprice Station Wagon on a 14 1/2 ft Eagle Trailer and it does it with no trouble at all. You just need a Hitch rated for your application and load requirements. My Wagon came equiped with the Trailer Package (Bigger brakes, heavier springs), and I added Air Shocks. Placement of the ATV is important also. Depending on the trailer, too much weight forward on the trailer, or the weight too far back, can efect how well it tows. Good Luck.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RPM, you have a full sized car with a v8. He has a small midsize with an inline 4. Big diff on capacities, but the pricipals are the same.

They really should have kept the full size cars around. Maybe we wouldnt have to have 20 different kinds of glorified mini vans then.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:34 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

I understand the difference between the two vehicles, but to my understanding, he only wants to pull one quad. My point was that he shouldn't have any trouble pulling his quad with his car as long as he gets a properly rated hitch. My Wagon only has a 305ci motor in it, so it is far from being a powerhouse. The power to weight ratio, makes it even less impressive.

Towing a trailer is simply rolling weight (As long as you balance out your trailer). So pulling one quad that weighs aprox. 400lbs + the weight of the trailer, isn't that much different than going for a ride with 4 average size adults in your car. In fact, with 4 adults in your car, you will have more weight on your suspension than you would towing a properly balanced trailer.

When I load my trailer, I place my quads so that there is just enough tongue weight to keep the trailer from walking when going down the road. Other than that, there is very little weight on the rear axle. I put the air shocks on do deal with all the crap my Wife thinks that she need to bring with us on every trip. What's up with that anyway? Oh well, that is another topic all together. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, the properties are the same...

Old 04-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

If you are worried about the trailer swaying on you then just buy a friction sway bar for $70-$100 and your problems will be solved.

1) get a hitch rated for about 1000-2000#
2) get a small one quad trailer with tie downs
3) get a sway bar and learn how to adjust it properly
4) GO RIDING!

Other suggestions to make it as easy as possible on your car. A full synthetic oil will help since it doesn't break down as easily as regular oil. Also keep an eye on your tranny fluid (or clutch). I would change the tranny fluid at half of the recommended interval. You can never change your fluids too much when towing.