Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Portable Generator (Noise Pollution)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable Generator (Noise Pollution)

I was out camping a week ago, and decided it was high time to purchase a portable generator - so I high-tailed it off the mountain and went to Home Depot. I found a Coleman Powermate 6250W for $499. It works well, but it's about 300dB. I've thought about mounting it to my 4-wheeler trailer and building an acoustic enclosure around it (i.e., make a plywood box around it with access doors and inlet / outlet vents, and mounting muffin fans for air movement through the vents).

Any suggestions from my fellow campers/ATVers?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone?...Buehler, Buehler....Anyone?...Buehler.....

Old 06-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

custom exhaust

like the ones the hunters use on their utes,,,to make them silent

Old 06-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have found that the exhaust that came with the generator is about as quiet as its gonna get....a lot of the noise is from everything else, not the exhaust....soundproofing does work, but it s a pain if you have to move it....at my camp i don't have to move it, so it is enclosed in a block surround on 3 sides with insulation with the proper ventelation ...just provide vents for the intake and exhaust, make sure they are sufficient in size....

Old 06-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

I pull my ATV trailer behind my 5th wheel, so moving it won't be too big of a deal. I thought I could make the enclosure pretty stout and put a couple of access doors on it so I could do maintenance, etc. I have been looking for a muffler, but can't seem to find anything.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have 2 buddies that tried to quiet theres down, didn't seem to help as far as overall noise, maybe somebody has the hot idea somewhere

Old 06-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you didn't buy it that long ago, take it back and tell them it didn't work and you don't like it. If you can't do that, try to sell it.

Honda is the only way to go, those are way quiet. What size do you need? I use a Honda 650 watt and a Honda 1000 watt. Those are way quiet. I also built a wood box, put a vent and a hole on side for the cords. The sound completely disappeared and you can't even tell it's running. I hate when I forget it's running and let it run all night until it runs out of gas [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Did that only once.

Good Luck

Old 06-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

About the only way to get a quiet one is to get a small one. I only need 2500W so went a little bigger and noise isn't that bad. Hardest thing I found was trying to find a medium sized that ran for over 8 hours.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

The Honda EU-3000 is VERY quiet, at 54db, it is one of the quietest portables on the market. Unfortunately, it is about $1700.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: trx450
The Honda EU-3000 is VERY quiet, at 54db, it is one of the quietest portables on the market. Unfortunately, it is about $1700.
Yeah, that's what sucks!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I guess you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Portable Generator (Noise Pollution)