Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Anyone have a cummings desiel

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 05:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have a cummings desiel

I agree with rescue, the chip re-programs EVERYTHING to work better together. It is just a computer chip, nuthin mechanical, yet it runs better. Although it does re-program the mechanical operation. I'd say be careful with the tuners and 100HP chips. heard they can cause damage.

DITTO, why doesn't the factory put them in stock? I think it's so they can use the exact same components the next year, yet boast they've "increased efficiency and improved HP, mileage, performance". Well, i guess that'd be true, but only cuz they re-programmed what was already there. Ford seemed to do it in the Powerstroke, and I think Chrysler has been doing it in the Cummins.

I haven't noticed ANY black exhaust with mine at all. Better Q is how many of you use fuel conditioner? I've been using Howes off/on. Can't say i notice any diff, but it did let me run on stove-oil for 1 year (I had about 400-500 gallons of old stove oil we pumped out of a big tank). for those of you who think I'm BSing, stove oil is like winter diesel, slightly different density. Ask an oil refinery guy, they'll tell ya.

Hey, they're running 2 local diesels here in Vancouver on modified/recycled cooking oil (experimental), and the Brits have been using some concoction of cooking oil cuz it's cheaper due to their heavy road tax. Apparently everyone says the exhaust smells like french-fries on both these concoctions.

Old 07-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
Better Q is how many of you use fuel conditioner? I've been using Howes off/on. .
Confused, I don't run any fuel conditioner in my tank. Maybe I should try and see if it still smokes. I thought it was from injecting all that fuel in the motor and it was just sent through the exhaust un-burned. Only see it when I'm standing on the gas pedal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

It's really not that long of a post.....

Black exhaust is unburnt fuel (bad). Blue is oil (VERY bad). And white I believe is water vapor (I think, and mainly happens in the winter I guess).

I know powerstroke's doesn't smoke unless he's trying to catch up to a Cummins. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I think the manufacturers don't make the motors put out their top power numbers possible is for longevity reasons. Doesn't matter if it's gas, diesel, 2 or 4 stroke, rotary, etc. Especially considering these diesel motors will last at least 300,000 miles.

Trivia time:

Diesel and "home heating oil" as it's called in the states are basically the same thing. Both come out of the same portion of crude oil. They also process through the same equipment. This is why diesel is so much more expensive in the summer and drops for the summer driving season.

The recycled oil is known as WVO (Waste Vegitable Oil) by those who process it. This is usually filtered and allowed to sit for the solids to fall out (at a slightly elevated temperature of a littler over 100F). And it does smell like fries...or whatever was cooked in it. There is also SVO (straight vegetable oil) which is veg. oil, that hasn't been used. They buy it in large quantities, 55gal drums or larger.

The other product out there BioDiesel. This is a diesel fuel that is made from plant oils (IIRC, soybean, Rapeseed, corn, etc.) The first diesel engine actually ran on veggie oil. BioDiesel is actually even cleaner than diesel in most pollutants, except for NOx, which I think is slightly higher. The raw oil is processed and refined. About the only byproduct that's created is glycerin which can be formed and used as a solid fuel. Lye, and methanol are used in the process.

Raw oil and lye are mixed, then the methanol is added. The methanol is only a catalyst and just about all of it can be recovered through distilling and reused. Rather interesting process. I believe it's called transesterification.

Home brewed BioDiesel costs about 50 cents per gallon to process. WVO is cheaper, but is messier and takes longer to make. And some modification to the vehicle is needed (seperate fuel tank for the WVO with a heater in it.) BioDiesel doesn't need any modifications, unless you have an old diesel with natural rubber in the fuel system. Commercial BioDiesel however is rather expensive. It runs about $3.50 a gallon (taxes included.) Some people are more than willing to pay premium for it. Note, if you make your own, (WVO, SVO or Bio) you are still required to pay taxes on it. The only problem is, there is no process set up to do so, in the US. Some people in the UK got slammed with fines for not paying taxes. Taxes around here, I think are about 50 cents/gallon.

Regular #2 diesel is referred to as DinoDiesel by the BioDiesel folks.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!

Originally posted by: Trasher
A better question is: Why in the heck don't they come from the factory like that?
Why hold back? reliablity? Cafe standards in the future? What's your guess?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
1) They would not meet emissions especially in California, NY, etc.

2) Transmissions are not designed to handle that kind of torque.

Old 07-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

The power mod. adjusts the injectors pump timing and when you have more power the motor doesnt have to work as hard to get the job done so better milage I will be getting rid of the Hemi and get a 05 ctd so I can do more pulling

Old 07-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: DSengineer
1) They would not meet emissions especially in California, NY, etc.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and think the Fed standards went up. I think all big three all produce only 50-state motors. Before they had everything else, and then CA.

2) Transmissions are not designed to handle that kind of torque.
I'd say they are. Anyone have tranny troubles with souped up stuff? Probably only applicable to AT. The manuals you'd probably just eat clutches faster.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

we have "Aircare", where we have to have our vehicle emissions tested every year or two, depending on your model year of vehicle. with a 60 HP chip, my readings improved, and I passed with "good readings". they rate what should be a good reading for your vehicle, plus the minimum standard. they test for hydrocarbons, NOx, and carbon monoxide (?), it's 3 emissions, at idle and running speed. The diesel only gets tested for 1 or 2 of the emissions. so I can't buy into the chip messes with the EPA standards excuse.

WOW!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] The Brits were running straight veggie oil? that's what i thought I'd heard or read before, but I wasn't positive, and wasn't sure it was possible. Damn taxes!! We have "marked" fuel (with color additive), supposed to be for farm use only. way less tax, and way cheaper. a logging truck driver/friend ran it for a year or two. Gov't sent him a letter asking him to show where his farm income was, and he ending up getting a HUGE tax bill.

So...... next time we go camping, if the wife and I don't use up all the Mazzola the night before, you're saying i can dump it straight in the tank if I run outta fuel?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Reminds me of Back To the Future at the end when Doc returns (to set up the sequel....gotta love Hollywood), and throws trash into the Fusion Reactor. Now if i could only fix the flux capacitor on my rig, then it'd blow away all your silly chips!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Diesels are exempt in CA..Or at least AFTER you buy it.. lol

Old 07-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Exempt in CA, that's amazing consider they otherwise have the toughest emission standards in North America.

Old 07-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Air Cooled Rider

What you call marked fuel is referred to as Red Diesel here in the states. You only have to pay regular local sales tax. And it is highly illegal to use it in a road going vehicle. Unlce Sam and Aunt Samantha (CA as I refer to her as) go around checking Red Diesel purchasers for illegal use. Most users here are farms, and construction companies. My work uses it in a fork lift, 185cfm air compressor and Ditch Witches. It saves about 50 cents per gallon.

If you get caught, the IRS and Franchise Tax Board (CA State ver. of IRS) will audit you, and figure out how much fuel you used, then how much taxes you evaded. They can go back 7 years. They send you a bill for taxes, penalty and interest. You also get a $1,000 fine from EACH agency. Do it a 2nd time, double. 3rd time...tripple. Ad nausium. You get caught you are in a worse position than if you had paid them as you went along.

If you search on google.com for SVO, WVO, diesel etc. you'll see what you need to do to run those other fuels.

BioDiesel also has a higher cetane rating as well.

Diesels have always been exempt from CA Smog Check and Smog Check II program. Smog Check II is the newest form (and more expensive) and is only done in the higher pollution areas. This sounds much like your system. They vehicles are tested at 10 and 25MPH on a set of rollers. It's not a Dyno, just rollers. Before they tested at idle, and a couple other RPMs. This way they get a more accurate determination of your emissions. I *think*, but I could be wrong, diesels actually put out less emissions, except for NOx, which is measured, but no standard has to be met. Diesels have higher NOx and Diesel Particulate Matter. Also, all vehicles registered in Imperial County (or somewhere down there) are exempt as there isn't much polution out there. It would be interesting to compare a Diesel emissions report to a big block gasser.

Smog Check is also not implemented until a vehicle is 4 years old, or it is being sold. And vehicles about 30 years old or so are no longer required to be checked.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a cummings desiel