Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toy Hauler with a Dakota-advice??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 08:51 PM
TRV
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Hauler with a Dakota-advice??

I have a 2002 crew cab 4 wd Dakota with tow package and 3.92 axles. I am looking for a light 16 or 18 foot(MAX!) toy hauler for my atv. Open to all suggestions!

Old 07-12-2004, 02:13 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I know someone with a 18' Coyote, though he's running a Durange. He was 250lbs over limit, dry and with only a 400ex. So you might be at max capacity. It's gonna be tough. Wish you the best of luck.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Try looking at the 16 foot Baja or Funrunner toy haulers, they are about the lightest at 3400 lbs empty.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

First off I am new here so HELLO!

My wife and I have a Dakota 4x4 with the 5.2L engine. We picket up a toy box last year and have towed it on several trips with no problems. Its a 99 WW FK1800 which the Super Lites replaced in 03. It has the front kitchen, rear bunk, no Generator and the larger frame and water tanks. Says it weights 4,150 dry and we ride a 00 Banshee and a 02 Raptor.

The Dakota was made stronger by adding a tranny cooler inline with the stock cooler, add-a-leafs, 4.10 gears, tow hooks, filter, muffler, superchips power programmer and the weight distrabution hitch. Sits on 33's and has an Auburn LSD.

Craig and Sheryl

Old 07-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Perpatrate_ so what kind of mileage are you getting towing that trailer and how fast can you safely pull?

Old 07-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, it turns out that the Baja and the Funrunner seem to have underestimated their true weight. It seems they play word games and the potential buyer needs to add the "tongue Weight" to the total ....

Old 07-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

BUD: How so? They don't inlclude tongue weight in their dry weight? Or do they expect the owner to calculate the tongue weight (10-15% on bumper tows)? Owner shoudl verify this stuff anyways, once it's loaded.

[ed] that's why I also say to have the dealer weight the trailer so you know what you are going to get. I figure if they want the sale, they can do it. I know around Fresno the big dealers (Paul Everett's & Gamel) are close, or should be relatively close, to some scales as they are on 99.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Trending Topics

Old 07-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

BUDXX,

Just courious have to had a chance to weigh your 20' FunRunner after it's loaded all loaded up with bikes, water, gas, food, etc? If so can you please post back weights, tounge weight? I bacically have the same 20' Carson trailer in your sig. and have yet to weigh mines.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Blackandredwarrior_ I know my buddy is currently looking for a trailer his 1/2 ton ford can tow, so he's been looking reall hard....It seems some of the manufacturers literature said one thing and another peice of factory print indicated a different weight, so after checking with a few dealers, he got various numbers and the difference seamed to be the quoted "tongue weight". I had presumed the tongue weight is and should be how much weight is on the tongue of your trailer hitch....

Personally I think the dealers are purposely under stating the actual weights as a marketing ploy...maybe I'm wrong...?

Eman4000- No I have not actually weighed my loaded rig, but if my dry weight is 4600+ lbs, and I add 50-60 gallons of water, 30 gallons of gas, 50 lbs of propane and tanks, food, drinks clothing, extra crap and three quads, or two quads and up to two more bikes, I don't see how the thing could weigh much less than 7000 lbs. And if I add tools and ammunition, and who knows what else...... I'd like to stop at a scale one day, and will..... but have not yet.

The heaviest load I've had so far was moving the toy box full of my brothers houshold belongings up to Oregon........I think it was around 8500-9000 lbs, judging by the way it hauled behind my truck......it felt wayyy heavier....

Old 07-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tow at 60mph and average about 7-8 mpg on long trips.

I am at or above my GVWR of 10,000 lbs.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler with a Dakota-advice??