Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Lightweight trailer tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight trailer tech

Lost my previous LONG message, here's the short short version

Had a 96 Dodge diesel, never affraid to pull anything behind it. I sold it and bought a new Toyota Tacoma double cab, V6, etc etc. Different story now, and I knew that getting into this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have a near new PJ trailer, 77" between the fenders, 10 long, 3500 lb single axle, wood deck, rails all around, and a HEAVY 4' tilt up rear gate. I can load 2 ATV's on it. One straight ahead, one sideways and that's kind of a PITA with the rails there. It's a 900 pound trailer as well.

Looking at selling it for an aluminum deck over to get more width to load them both straight ahead, tilt deck as well. Also want a 12'er to be able to haul my friends quad as well all sideways on the trailer. Here's where my tech comes in at. Looking for a used one to save some $$ of coarse. Which makers are ones to look for? Featherlite, Floe, Pace?????

This is pretty much what I want.

Alum. Trailer Pic

This is pretty much what I currently have (with a rear gate) Mine is all C channel adn more heavy duty I think.

My Trailer

Old 10-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

Update. My friend has the same trailer I do and we are thinking of selling both and buying one aluminum one like I listed above.

Is $1500 a reasonable price for a used one? Also what's a new one run approximatly?

Old 10-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Edit.. Misread the post

Old 10-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Nobody has any info on these?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

I'm not familiar with the aluminum trailers, but will give you some of my opinions. I had a trailer like yours, 12ft with tilt up rear gate. It was PITA to load & unload crossways. It was stolen with three ATV's on it just west of you this summer. The replacement trailer I bought was similar with no tilt up gate and no side rails. A buddy I ride with is a welder and he made removable side rails for me. I have a set of aluminum folding ramps sold at SAM's and load from the side, then unload the same way. It is the slickest thing since sliced bread. Getting rid of the tilt up tailgate made the biggest improvement in gas mileage by reducing drag.

Three years ago when I bought the original trailer, I looked at aluminum trailers but thought they must really be made of gold. I spent my hard earned money on ATV's not an expensive trailer. The one concern I have with the one you have pictured are the tires. If you travel long distances at interstate speeds with those little tires in the summer heat, you will have more tire problems than a standard 15 inch trailer tire.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:12 AM
Trailblazer

Hmmmm Stolen you say?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info. I would really like to try mine w/out the gate since it does pop right off. My boss has a set of alum. ramps I could borrow to load them as well. I might try that this weekend. The gate if HEAVY. 2x2 steel tube 6.5' wide by 5' tall. I bet it's a couple hundred pounds.

Aluminum ones are pricey, but that's why I want used. The small tires would be a concern, but I would assume they design them for that application (or at least I would hope)

Old 10-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

those little donut wheels will burn up some bearings pretty quick also

Old 10-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Bing
those little donut wheels will burn up some bearings pretty quick also
Without a deckover style, how am I to load 3 on a 12'er sideways then with a fender/tire in my way?

My current 15" wheels/tire are great and the axle has the EZ lube bearings which is real nice. BUT I need to fit 3 on a trailer now and also need it to remain as light as possible for my currnet truck is all. If I still had my longbed Dodge I'd just toss one in the bed and the other two on the trailer, but I needed/wanted something newer and niceer.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

We always put the smallest/lightest atv between the wheel wells. Loading is not a problem with my aluminum ramps. Just put ramps on rail, drive atv up and into trailer. What's a 9 - 12 inch drop? You probably take bigger bumps than that on the trail.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

True, but why mess with having to jockey them around if you can buy a trailer that is gearded towards what I would want? I'd still be selling my trailer and buying one that only 2' longer than mine and still a PITA to load and unload the bikes. A full flat deck is the best option for me and my needs/wants.

Primarily what I want is as light weight of trailer I can get and still haul 3 on it with ease. Mine is niether of those.

Here's in mine

Pic #!

Pic #2

Quick Reply: Lightweight trailer tech