Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Harbor Freight Fold up 4x8 Trailers: WARNING!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at those, but ended up buying a 5 X8 trailer from Tractor Supply. A week ago, I traded it for a 8X12 with a pressure treated deck and a side fold down and rear ramps! Even! Now I can haul my AC 400 and my AC Diesel. One of the best trades that I've made!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know much about Harbor Freight trailers but a lot of their tools are such cheap quality they should be considered disposable. If you want something you're going to use more than once or twice you're better off getting something better elsewhere. The trailers I saw there looked so cheap I don't care what they cost I wasn't getting one.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm drawn to certain things they have. Generally speaking, most of it is bad, but they have a few good things in there.
The trailer is one of them, but with the disclaimer that is really only half finished, and for a hobbiest like me, works very well for heavier woodworking tool moving/purchasing and lumber purchases and means I don't need to buy a truck or a van.

It's kit like qualities have people making extraordinary good use of theirs, and a simple axle upgrade doubles the weight capacity and allows fancier wheels..
Welding the frame rigid is a huge upgrade. .

Not everyone's cup of tea when you can just buy a pre made one for considerably less time spent, but I've enjoyed making mine work.

Rob.

​​
Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I don't know much about Harbor Freight trailers but a lot of their tools are such cheap quality they should be considered disposable. If you want something you're going to use more than once or twice you're better off getting something better elsewhere. The trailers I saw there looked so cheap I don't care what they cost I wasn't getting one.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Moto Psycho

I wouldn't buy a trailer with 8" wheels anyway. They spin too fast and wear out the tires faster than bigger wheels. Hubs too I've heard. My 5'x8' tilt-bed has 12" wheels and that's the smallest I'll go. If I was shopping for a 2 or 3 place trailer I'd be looking for one with 15" wheels which are hard to find on smaller trailers.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

They have several 12" models, and some lighter 8's.
​​​​​

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I wouldn't buy a trailer with 8" wheels anyway. They spin too fast and wear out the tires faster than bigger wheels. Hubs too I've heard. My 5'x8' tilt-bed has 12" wheels and that's the smallest I'll go. If I was shopping for a 2 or 3 place trailer I'd be looking for one with 15" wheels which are hard to find on smaller trailers.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Breaddrink
They have several 12" models, and some lighter 8's.
​​​​​
I haven't seen the 12" wheeled trailers there but I haven't looked closely at them in years either. Back when I looked they had 8" wheeled trailers that looked like they were more suited for pulling around the yard than down a highway. They looked like they wouldn't hold up but apparently some do.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

As someone posted above the cheap trailers you can get from your local HF, or building supply place is a good little trailer for the hobbyist. The guy thats only going to use it once and a while. These trailers are not meant to be hauling quads and sxs all around the country. You want a good trailer and the only place to get those is a place that deales in trailers. Anything with smaller than a 14" tire should not even be taken out of town. These little 8, 10, and 12" tires heat up fast on the open road and blow apart. I see a dozen or so of those cheap trailers on the side of the road yearly

Old 04-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

I've had no problems with any of my 3 HF trailers. The one I use most hauls my quad and motorcycle from Oregon to southern Arizona and back every year. The 8" and 12" trailer tires are lousy but you can replace the 12" with a car steel belted radial which will last many years.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a few hundred more, you can get a decent trailer. Sometimes saving a buck or 2 isn't wise. By the time you modify them to make them usuable, you could have just bought a better trailer.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Country Rider

Thats wierd. We actually use a trailer we built our self. There are a lot of trailers out there that are bad, Hopeyou have bettor luck next time

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Fold up 4x8 Trailers: WARNING!