Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Which Truck??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Truck??

As everyone else says, definately go with the 3/4 or 1-ton route. Diesel preferably. Of course if you're going to Pismo, 4x4 is probably a given.

If you're looking to purchase new, Ford has really upped the ante in the 3/4-1 ton market with the Super Duty lineup. They finally squared away the GVWR numbers so they make sense. Prior to 2005 an F-250 CC LB 4x4 PSD had about 800lb of available capacity. So if you buy used, get an F-350 SRW over an F-250. As rescue said, you're looking at $45K+ in the central valley (Bakersfield, Fresno, Merced, etc.)

The big gas motors do a good job, but your gas bill will be insane. A friend pulls a large (37-38') fifth wheel and gets down about 6MPG while crawling up Cuesta grade @ 35 MPH would out in 2nd on his '03 F-350 SRW CC LB 6.8V-10. And he's searching for more power. Chip didn't do much. Looking at gears and maybe a supercharger.

If a toy box is in your future, or even remotely looks like it, get the diesel (whatever make...they are all good motors.) They all have excellent trannies. Most room in a CC goes to Ford, with the GM twins coming in next and Dodge's wanna-be CC last. That's important for tall passengers. Interior and ride seems to go to the GM twins. Dodge tends to win in the price category. Ford seems to top the price list.

Again, Ford has the best payload and towing ratings of the group across the board. The available integrated brake controller seems to be only be bested (if that) by the Brake Smart brake controller (taps into the brake lines). The IBC works with the vehicles ABS system.

Yeah, I'm a Ford guy. No, I don't own one...unless I win tonight. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Truck??

Ford all the way. But thats all I drive. My 77 F-250 4x4 regular cab pulls my 21foot enclosed trailer pretty good. Motor has over 176,000 miles on her and its still got the original clutch! Body is rusted pretty bad and has no exhaust but it gets the job done,hahaha. Pretty bad when yer trailer looks better than yer truck! I'd go with the F250 or F350 super duty powerstrokers. They have the big truck market for sure. Flat bed would be nice so you could unload an atv or two from the bed without takin off the trailer. Good luck with your choice

Old 01-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Truck??

I have a 2001 F250 SC 4x4 8' bed v10 with 88K miles. Knock on wood, mine has been as reliable as a stone, it's never had a problem. It tows my 7K lb boat and a buddy's 9K lb boat without any problems and if I'm not careful, it's too easy to forget the boat is back there. The v10 develops power at a much higher rpm than most other motors, it redlines at over 6K rpm. It's thirsty though, 12 mpg in mixed driving and as low as 8 mpg when towing.

My Dad has a new Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually with the Cummins and 6 speed Allison transmission. It's a good truck and can tow like a SOB but it's not as easy to drive or as comfortable as my F250. Neither of us can put our finger on the exact differences but we both agree that my truck is the easiest to drive and his truck is best if the load is over 10K lbs. He's getting 18 mpg in mixed driving and 12 mpg pulling a 12K lb 5th wheel.

I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than drive a Chevy truck. They are good for old men and fat guys but theya re not in the same league as the Ford and Dodge. If you plan to abuse your truck, don't get a Chevy, they just don't hold up as well.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Truck??

AMEN to that!

Old 01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Which Truck??

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
My Dad has a new Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually with the Cummins and 6 speed Allison transmission.
Are you sure about that? Unless he's put it in aftermarket. THe Dodge AT is 48RE (IIRC) from Dodge. And the 6 speed stick is a ZF (formerly Borg-Warner). And I think the ZF is the same as what's in the Fords.

The 6 speed Allison ATs are for Class VI, VII & VIII trucks. Not even in the same league as these Class II & III trucks.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Which Truck??

6 speed MANUAL transmission made by Allison. Sorry I wasn't clear the first time.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Truck??

Originally posted by: UBETRUN

I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than drive a Chevy truck. They are good for old men and fat guys but theya re not in the same league as the Ford and Dodge. If you plan to abuse your truck, don't get a Chevy, they just don't hold up as well.
NOW you've done it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Jaybee (Who is neither old nor fat but who has used and abused several Chevy/GMC trucks over the years and they continue to hold up.)

Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Default Which Truck??

I was wrong in some parts. TREMAC bought out Borg-Warner. The T56 is in the Viper and Crossfire.

The Cummins is backed by a New Venture NV5600. With a late availability of a Getrag (assuming as all other 6-speeds in Chryslers are Getrag) G56 (at least it's a late-availability on the Power Wagon so assuming the same on the Rams w/Cummins). DymlerChrysler sold off New Venture Gear.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:34 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Truck??

I've owned both the Duramax and the Cummins and the Cummins has more power, hands down!! The Duramax seemed to tow better just because of the Allison tranny but the Cummins 600 definately has more grunt. I've hooked bumpers with a couple buddies rigs and they were all believers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Range Rover
Default Which Truck??

GO CUMMINS, 6 in a row is the only way to tow. Go six speed for even better towing. I could pull circles around ford. (when the ford is not in the shop) and the cheby. The smaller cab I can live with for the non worrying of the Reiliable CUMMINS.

Quick Reply: Which Truck??