Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Thumbs down on Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumbs down on Chevy

I've had my S-10 since 1995, almost 100k on it and it still looks and runs just like new. Only problem I've ever had was the front pulley bracket seized up and had to be replaced.....twice. But it still has been a great truck. Poor little bugger has a hard time pulling my trailer and quads up hills with the little 4-banger that it has so next year I'm getting a new truck. Of course it will be a Chevrolet again......woot!

Old 02-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

I bought an 03 HD Duramax crew new in Feb of 03, my first Chevrolet ever after many Fords. Got about 38000 miles on it now, with no drivetrain issues. It's been a real good truck so far, and I tow doubles with it quite a bit. The paint sucks and the heater is worse than my 58 ****** but the motor and tranny are nice.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

My '03 GMC HD 4x4 continues to get slop in the front end. You have to grease it about every month to keep the knock out of the steering wheel when turning. Other than that, pretty good. 43,000 miles

Old 02-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my third GMC/Chevy 3/4 ton ('94, '96, '02). Suprising to see that some don't like the post 99's as much as the earlier models. My '02 is a much better performing truck than either of my earlier ones with far less maintanience issues. 70K+ and still going strong.

Jaybee

Old 02-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

i got an 03 chevy silverado xtended cab Z71, great truck only prob was the steering shaft but they all had this prob, GM finally got a redigned part, only time will tell if it is any better. i pull a 3 and 4 place atv trailer no problem. i got 24000 miles. runs good no drive train trouble.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

When it comes to complaints vs. testimonials, it's been proven that folks are 60% more likely to aire out a complaint. (jm2c) Anyway, my '99 Silverado (Z-71, 1/2 ton, 5.3,auto) has 145,000 mi on it. I'm the 2nd owner and I've owned it since it had 35k. I had 1 warrenty issue that involved replacing the anti-lock brake controller. Aside from a set of rear axle bearings (go figure) and regular mainentance, my truck hasn't had any other issues. Oh, by the way, I tow a 26' Weekend Warrior with 4 quads. Our usual trips take us to Sand mtn. Nevada (over the mountains of Lake Tahoe) or to Pismo. We've also been to Oregon (over Shasta [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] 30 mph in 1st gear) Needless to say, my truck has performed "like a rock" and continues to do so. I'll probably look at a 2500HD next year. I'm in no hurry though, this one's paid for.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

My dads friends son had a brand new HD Chevy and he has had to have the trans replaced 7 TIMES ALREADY!!! Damn Chevy's!!! I've got a 1977 F250 4x4 that my dad bought new and its got over 178,000 miles on it and still has the original clutch!! It has hauled heavy loads all its life mainly tractors. Thats Built Ford Tough right there. I bleed blue. I'd rather have an older GM than a newer one. They don't build trucks like they used to anymore. I love the old iron as long as its a Ford. New super duty Fords are damn tough in my opinion. I'd get one of those.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

We have an 02 GMC HD Duramax 60,000 miles almost all with 5600 pound trailer on behind no problems.
Sorry to hear about yours.

Ken

Old 02-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

My family has never owned anything besides Chevy (Blazers, Tahoes, Suberbans, and Silverados) and we have had very few problems. My dad has a '99 1500 Silverado with about 70K and something happened with the ABS at about 60K, but that is the only problem with that. My grandfather has a '93 2500 with 180K miles that he uses as a work truck. The last 150K is has been weighed down with about 1 ton werth of equipment (welder, oxy-acety tanks, other tools etc.) day in and day out without any problems. I'm not sure if that is just luck or what.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

I've owned Chevy trucks for quite a few years, including an 85 stepside that gave me no problems other than a few rusty fenders later in life, and a 92 GMC that had ignition issues, but was ok other than that.
Then we come to the 2000 Silverado...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] At one point during the first year, I proposed an arrangement with the dealer whereby I would drive it and make the payment for a month, then they would take it and work on it and make the payment for the next month, etc... you get the idea.
From front end problems (springs, steering) to disc brake scaling, to exhaust rattles they finally solved partially by hanging weights from it, to seat belts that wouldn't retract, to leaky exhaust flanges, to a tranny that couldn't make up it's mind, to spark knock, to lousy OEM tires that were an aoddball size, to rust that appeared within the first 15000 kms, after I paid for their undercoating...
I finally had enough, and traded it before the warranty was up, with a lousy 17000 km on the clock. Less than a year for a new truck, you can imagine the depreciation. It'll be a cold day in hell before another new Chevy darkens my driveway, I'd buy a Dodge first, and if you knew me as well as some do, you'd realize just what a statement THAT is !! The sad part is, I'm not the only one, I personally know about 5 people who went through the same kind of BS with their new Chevys. Like SukiZ400rdr said, Chevy stopped building trucks in 1999.

Quick Reply: Thumbs down on Chevy