Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Bearing buddies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing buddies?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me, I have a trailer with dexter 3500 pound axles, what bearing buddies would I need? Also, I have the easy lube system, I have herd lots of good things and bad things about bearing buddies when using the e-z lube. Are they a good investment, or a bad idea? I haul my trailer alot, and I am super lazy, I don't like greasing the bearings all the time. Any input would be wonderful! Thanks everyone!

Old 02-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Range Rover
Default Bearing buddies?

take them a part to grease them. you do not get grease in to the bearing with then there to push out water on boat trailer. you should grease once a year. take me 11/2 hours to do my toy house. this way y ou look at the bearing to see if there good.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bearing buddies?

I use bearing buddies on my two trailers ... one is now over 10 years old and has around 100,000 miles! I do change the bearings every other year and use mobil 1 syn red grease. I like bearing buddies ... i feel that there's a little pressure on the grease keeping the bearings wet and the hubs cooler. BUT don't think bearing buddies are any cause not to do maintanence! Bearings do fail, even if they have enough grease!

Old 02-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Bearing buddies?

bearing buddies are great

if your the type who maintains/pretrips your stuff anyway,,,,,then probably not necesary

they help on the smaller donut high rpm wheels,,,,,,especially when your going 90 for 5 hours with an overloaded trailer

Old 02-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Bearing buddies?

Originally posted by: Bing

they help on the smaller donut high rpm wheels,,,,,,especially when your going 90 for 5 hours with an overloaded trailer
Now Bing, who would do something like that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Bearing buddies?

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: Bing

Now Bing, who would do something like that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
No, but I'm usually the guy that helps the stranded person. My buddies used to make the friday night runs up to Maine from CT with those little trailers,,,,and they like to drive fast. They never had much troubles after they installed the buddies.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Range Rover
Default Bearing buddies?

Well, I have herd (don't know if it is true or not) that hearing buddies when the grease gets hot they don't allow it to go anywhere. Thus blowing a seal, or just leaking from a seal and it will get on the brake rotors, or drums and cause major problems.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bearing buddies?

You are correct ... bearing buddies SHOULD NOT BE used on trailers with brakes. The grease is under pressure will leak pass the rear seal once it warms up ... with that said someone (can't remember where i saw them) makes an grease shield to help with this issue on boat trailers. Also helps if you don't over fill the bearings, lots of people like to pump and pump ... you grease gun WILL blow the rear seal out even if you don't have bearing buddies.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Range Rover
Default Bearing buddies?

Well, my trailer is equiped with e-z lube, so, if I pump and pump on my grease gun, I am just wasting grease cause it comes out the front. Problem is, I don't like to do it. I have to take the tires off so that I can pull that little beauty ring thing and pop off the cap in the center. Then I can grease. If I was to just not fill them all the way, would that work? Then the grease would have some place to go.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bearing buddies?

I would try it ... at worst you'll have to remove them and clean the rear seal.

Quick Reply: Bearing buddies?