Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Need an ATV trailer for Honda Element (2 quads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an ATV trailer for Honda Element (2 quads)

Hi,
I have tried to read as many posts as i can regarding various trailers, etc, but i am still in need of some help in deciding what trailer to get for my needs.
Here is what i have..
2004 Honda Element 4wd (160hp), 2000 weight capacity on the hitch
Suzuki Z400
Suzuki Z400

So all i really need to know is if i am looking for a quad, i need to stay within the 1500lb (total) mark roughly.
My quads weight roughly 750-800lbs and i need a 6ft x 10ft trailer.
So i am looking into aluminum trailers only due to weight and plus i like them anyways.
Plus i would like to get a side loading trailer. I can spend a max of $1300-1500.

I looked at the Triton ATV88 and SL8 trailers, but they have 8 inch wheels with options for bigger wheels, but the trailer itself seems sketchy with no sides.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
I have been looking into Carson Trailers, Triton Trailers, Zieman Trailers, Snowbear (home depot) trailers, and the Sportsman II ATV from Northern Tool which seems great, but i can't get more specs on that trailer.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I towed a friends Triton trailer with his Bomb Outlander (+/- 600lb) and my Warrior on it this weekend. Towed like a dream. They weigh in at like 300lb. It does have the wider tires. This was through mountain terrain ranging from 15MPH (tight twisty downhill road) to 60MPH flat stretches. I was towing with an F-150 (see sig) however.

Those are about the lightest trailers you will find. Get the extra tie down points that mount on the rail.

Get good quality ratchet straps. DON'T use the cam style ones that just grip the strap. Cinch them down tight and the quads won't anywhere. Be careful of any sharp edges on the quad as well. I've had a strap cut on my Warrior. Probably loaded and tied down, you don't need rails. Plus they add extra weight. His trailer (two place, maybe 6x8?) is both side and rear load. I have no clue what he paid for it, but look up powerstroke01 on here. The ramp slides into a pocket and locks. It does rattle if you have the windows down. Windows up, I never heard it.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
I towed a friends Triton trailer with his Bomb Outlander (+/- 600lb) and my Warrior on it this weekend. Towed like a dream. They weigh in at like 300lb. It does have the wider tires. This was through mountain terrain ranging from 15MPH (tight twisty downhill road) to 60MPH flat stretches. I was towing with an F-150 (see sig) however.

Those are about the lightest trailers you will find. Get the extra tie down points that mount on the rail.

Get good quality ratchet straps. DON'T use the cam style ones that just grip the strap. Cinch them down tight and the quads won't anywhere. Be careful of any sharp edges on the quad as well. I've had a strap cut on my Warrior. Probably loaded and tied down, you don't need rails. Plus they add extra weight. His trailer (two place, maybe 6x8?) is both side and rear load. I have no clue what he paid for it, but look up powerstroke01 on here. The ramp slides into a pocket and locks. It does rattle if you have the windows down. Windows up, I never heard it.
Its the ATV88 http://www.tritontrailers.com/models1.asp?ModelID=22

It was about $1500 or so.. It has the jack and the rear ramp lock as options, and upgraded wheels and tires... I dunno the breakdown on the price was...

It hauls our 2 outlanders with no problem. Bout 1350lbs worth of quads.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is 160hp on the Honda Element ok to pull 1500lbs?
Thanks for the info.
I am definitely looking at so many trailers because i have a weird situation with my Element, plus storing my trailer in my garage which is pretty small, etc.
Are there any other trailers that you can think of?
Thanks,
Brian

Old 05-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

It's not so much the horsepower, as the torque to get it all moving. Most engines now have motors designed for higher RPM power which usually means the low end will suffer. With a trailer like you are looking at, the HP isn't much of a thing as the trailer will pretty much be "hidden" behind the tow vehicle.

Loaded up on a Triton as mentioned before, you'll probably have a tongue weight of around 100-150lbs with a total trailer weight of probably 1100lbs based on 800lbs of quads on a 300lb trailer. You won't get much lighter then that. I don't think any steel trailer will be able to touch that.

The biggest test that you will face is Cuesta coming back from Pismo (I assume you'll be a regular there as you are from Atascadero). Don't use OD if it's hilly. And don't be afraid to pull it down to second either. Find out where your engine makes it's peak torque, or better yet a graph of the torque curve. Tow in the hills at your peak engine torque. Hopefully your car has a tach in it. If it's flat, you should be fine to pull in OD. Just don't lug the motor. Of course I'm assuming you have an automatic transimission.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info.
Greatly appreciated.
yeah, mostly pismo and pozo (santa margarita). both really close to my house.

I just found some trailers made by Echo Trailer (a side company of Voyager Trailers)
http://www.voyagertrailers.com/echo_small_atvs.htm
These seemed pretty good for small side loading trailers.

and Paiute Trailers..

http://www.paiutetrailers.com

Any ideas on these?
Anyone?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

I dont know if they have a web sit but a big name for aluminume trailers around here is ALUMALITE. They make some nice trailers and mite be anouther option for you. I am not sure if they have dealers way out there but they are everywhere around here. Mayby because they are made a couple hours from here.

This is not the same manufacturer I was refering to but anouther one buy a simaler name that I found. I cant find the one I was thinking of. Maybey I am remembering the name wrong.

http://www.alumalitetrailers.com/

Old 05-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a Triton SL8 trailer. It only weighs 300 pounds. It tows like it isn't even there. I have lent it to friends and they tell me the same thing.

I did not want a heavy trailer. With both our ATV's and the trailer the total weight is only 1500 pounds.

You can load the ATVs from either side. The SL8 has folding ramps on both sides. You will never have to paint it and it will never rust. Great system for greasing the wheel bearings. Marine grade plywood.

Don't get the optional taller tires, it increases the ramp angle and some ATVs might drag while loading.

We have towed ours at 80 mph for quite a while and without incident. Don't let the small tires bother you. They are high-speed tires and are made to spin a million rpm.

It also has a four cord rubber torsion axle. This is what makes it ride and tow so nice. I had a conventional leaf sprung ATV trailer and this one tows a lot nicer.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the reply.
Where did you get one and how much was it?

They are pretty $$$ here in CA.

Brian

Old 05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xnofriendsx, the first two dealers I contacted had no interest in selling me one, they told me they were too expensive. I think I will be the one that makes that decision.

I bought it in a small town, Kamas, UT from Wellers. It probably is the most expensive ATV trailer. I paid $1500 including the spare tire, mount and the tongue jack. Steel trailers were closer to $1200.

The single biggest thing to me was the weight. Since buying it how nice it tows was a bonus. When I got it home I treated the wood with Thompsons Water Seal. The marine grade plywood should last a great many years.

I know everyone has an opinion, but for the money I do think this is a great trailer. Another thing I really like is I can pick the tongue up with one hand and easilly push this trailer across the grass or through the gutter or anywhere I want to put it. Great trailer. If I ever buy another ATV trailer it will be another Trition.

Quick Reply: Need an ATV trailer for Honda Element (2 quads)