Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Generator Questions?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generator Questions?????

oh, btw,,,the kipors are quiet as well

check my pic #3

I can snap more photos if you wish and e-mail them.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Lowes sells a 5500 watt unit for a little over $600, made by Troy-Built. Highly recommended. It has 4- 20 amp circuits, plus one 220. Should handle anything you throw at it in your trailer.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Lowes sells a 5500 watt unit for a little over $600, made by Troy-Built. Highly recommended. It has 4- 20 amp circuits, plus one 220. Should handle anything you throw at it in your trailer.
next time i hear a 102db generator with a guy welding next to it at a campground,,,i will think of you DB,,,,LOLOL!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

Hey no problem... glad to help.... When I need a generator, I don't care how loud it is... just that is starts and keeps the lights on.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Well I guess I will add my two cents. You will need a generator around 4000 watts. Any
smaller and you stand the chance of running y0ur generator at to high a level. What I mean
is the peak of the generators capability. For instance. The generator has is rated for 4000
watts, with a peak of 4500w. The generator will give 4000w and below fine, but when you
are using 4300w, the generator has not reached peak, but will run very hot, and not trip
the built in circuit breaker set at 4500. After a run time as little as 30 minutes the stator
can burn up. This means one junk generator, and go buy another. Now my suggestions.

For what you are doing, go for a Generac 4000XL, that you can find in any Home depot, or
other stores. This is a nice generator, and runs quieter than alot of others. Also, it runs
for about 13 hours on 4 gallons of gas. The cheaper generators get you by using 1 gallon
for 1 hour of running. Make sure you purchase the XL model as the others are not as
quiet or stingy using gas. A bigger model say a 5500 will normally be much heaver, and
use hold 5 gallons of gas and run for 7 hours. This a disadvantage to you for many reasons,
1. much heaver
2. Less run time per gal of gas.
3. a louder engine.

Get a 75 extention cord, and run the engine away from you campsite, and it will cut down
on noise, and gasoline smoke.

Heres a tip. If the generator is to be used alot, a 7 or 8 hundred dollar generator will
save you alot of the 500 dollar bargain. The very expensive Honda generators are
undoubtably the best in all, but command a price twice to three times as much as I have
described.

Your choice, hope this helps, I been through it all..

Old 10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

For what you are doing, go for a Generac 4000XL
I will throw my 2 cents in. I just retired from a shop that does warranty work for most of the Generators out their. I will NOT recomend a generac. I cant say it any more clear than that. I am sure their will be some chime in that have had great success with them. I say good for you, you are very lucky! Generac generators kept my old boss in bussiness. Colemans are so so, if used occasionally they will last. but are noisy.

If you want a generator thats going to last, you need to get a Honda. Their is a reason they charge so much for their units. They are built very well. You would be amazed at the shortcuts some companies are making with equipment that Honda doesnt.

Onan is another brand that is made very well but again you are going to pay for it.

And you need to find out the load of the a/c before determing the size of the generator.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm getting rid of the motorhome (7mpg) and getting a toy hauler. Had one picked out, and was generator prepped. Asked about a Onan 4k and they wanted to install a smaller one for 2500 plus labor to install. Shoot, I think I'll just take the 6.5 Onan out of the RV. Could run two to three trailers with it.
If you know the amperage of what your using, and the voltage (most likely 120) you can figure how many watts you'll need.
Amperage X Voltage = Watts

Example, 15 amp A/C @ 120 volts = 1800 watts

Keep in mind if you're going to be using a microwave, hair dryer (for the women) and other stuff that is high wattage.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with the gentleman over Generac. In a past life, I used to work part time at the local Sears selling all sorts of items made by generac. Had nothing but troubles with them. Snow blowers, generators, pressure washers you name it. They were definately sub standard. Sears had to find another manufacturer.. that should say volumes...

I know the troy-bilt is loud... but I have not had any problems with it yet, and it is used daily in my business. It starts, runs, and gives me no worries... For the price, I can deal with the noise. Heck, I am deaf in my left ear, and my wife says I can't hear out of the Right. Selective hearing syndrome she calls it. It's my excuse and I am sticking to it.. Funny how it works like that.

Any way, I can live with the noise. Besides, in my businiess, I want to get people's attention anyway... it helps with the bottom line.

Every time I go to lay out the green stuff on a big purchase like the Hondas, I keep thinking I can buy 2 or 3 of the cheap models for the same price.. Maybe if the Troy-bilt dies I'll consider the Honda, but for now I am not complaining. Granted, I am not using it in a campground environment. Your needs are different than mine.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

Scooter, don't you know that smoking is hazardous to your health? Wink Wink... Nice Picture.... Just wondering what you expect to get for milage if you are towing a trailer? I get about the same pulling an enclosed trailer that weighs in at around 6000 loaded with a Dodge Ram 1500/Hemi. Next go round I am getting the Cummins for sure. believe it or not, the Hemi can't pull overdrive with it. It does fine with OD turned off. Darn thing can't seem to pass a gas station without stopping in to visit the pumps. You would think they were related or something.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I'd hope to get about 10mpg. The trailers I'm looking at aren't going to be any bigger than 28 feet. Plus, if I want to leave the campground, I won't have to bring a second vehicle (even more gas). Looked at the 1500, but leaning more towards a Titan. The wife has had two Dakotas, both with problems in the front suspension. I'm sure the 1500 has a better record, but the service dept I've been to just had the attitude that it's not a problem (for them anyway), so I started looking at other makes.

The most fun is when I start the RV. Then I can take bets which will happen first. Will the temp gauge reach normal operating range before the gas gauge goes down by 1/4 tank. Just to fill the RV, quads and gas cans is only 100 gallons. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Generator Questions?????